AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attribute with background mask?

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
CarrierSavard
65391 Views, 18 Replies

Attribute with background mask?

Is it possible to have attributes (annotative text) with a background mask in a block?

Our intention is to include text to describe the status (demolition, existing or new) of various equipment.

The drawings themselves (lines, hatchs, etc.) would not be scalable or annotative, but we do want the text included to be annotative.

We normally include a hatch behind text or drawing elements (with a 'ByBlock' color) so we can 'manually' give it a background color of our liking and then scale the block in question. This way, the 'manual background' automatically scales with it.

However, with the annotative way of doing things, our solutions doesn't work anymore because blocks like these ones are now insert at a 1:1 scale and the text included will scale accordingly.

SO, I'm looking for a way to add a background mask to an annotative attribute.

Hopefully my explanation was clear...

Any ideas?

Pierre P.

ACA 2012
Windows 7
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU
3.4GHz - 8GB ram - 64 bit
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
pendean
in reply to: CarrierSavard

There is no masking in anything other than MTEXT: can you not use a wipeout or hatch for the entire block, and not just the small area behind the attribute text? if is your block only text with no outline?

Perhaps you need to explore Dynamic Blocks too:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Dynamic-Blocks/bd-p/154

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 19
jcp
Advocate

If you set the attribute to be multiple lines then is edits as mtext and the background option is available.

Message 4 of 19
mel
Participant
in reply to: jcp

Thanks JCP....I needed this!
Message 5 of 19
kgarcia
in reply to: mel

I know this is an old thread but hoping to get some help on the subject anyway. We are using sheet sets for all of our projects now and we like to have a stamp for the phase of the project (i.e. PRELIMINARY, FOR CONSTRUCTION, PLANNING, etc.) and would like to have this stamp have background masking. I tried the multi-line option and when I do that the stamp comes up with the hated #### option signaling that it is not reading the stamp. I checked to make sure that the tag was correct and everything seems fine. The only difference is the multi-line option. Is there something that I am missing?

Message 6 of 19
scout2004

This is great! Worked perfectly. I opened the block, changed my Attdef to multiline in the properties panel, opened the attribute def (double click on text), clicked on the 3 dots next to default (which opens the text formatting), clicked on the drop down arrow for text formatting, then set my background mask. WHEEW!!! I never would have found all of that without some digging. Thanks for the help!

Message 7 of 19
r.vanderend
in reply to: scout2004

I also had to do an "ATTSYNC" on the end.

But the solution is still a good one, thanks.

Message 8 of 19
bcsurvey

This is a great example of the power of this forum; for a solution to be so valuable over 7 years after initial post, with several recent beneficiaries!

Civil 3D 2019 (6.1)
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
(i7-11850H @ 2.50 GHz)
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Message 9 of 19
agbrewster99
in reply to: bcsurvey

Absolutely!

I've used multiline attributes before but never knew that this was possible, so helpful.

Message 10 of 19
andres_bonilla

After a long time and trying multiple options, your answer has given me inner peace.

Thank you very much for your valuable contribution.

Message 11 of 19
Noyade75
in reply to: scout2004

I followed your steps and found the background mask option.  However the attribute is no longer editable when used.  It is like a fixed attribute then.  What am I missing?

Message 12 of 19
chelsearau
in reply to: Noyade75

I am having the same issue! now i cant edit the attribute!! 

Message 13 of 19
pendean
in reply to: chelsearau

@chelsearau @Noyade75 start sharing DWG files with these custom blocks/attributes that stopped working if you want further help, its the next step for remote assistance in these forums.
Message 14 of 19
claraway
in reply to: pendean

>>> caNNOT EDIT aTTRIBUTE sOLVED.  Actually i did not solve. Just follow  scout 2004  MESSAGE 6 OF 13. click on the three dots to edit text.  it is an extra step, but well worth the step for added background masking.!!! 
Thanks All
Sorry i did not see my CAPS on.  

Message 15 of 19
spencerj2

you will need to click the 3 dots to edit multiline attribute text

Message 16 of 19
pavelLFJL2

hallow to all,

how to remove background mask for block attributes?

see attached  dwg file.

thanks a lot.

Message 17 of 19
pendean
in reply to: pavelLFJL2

@pavelLFJL2   Your primary issue: you have a block with an attribute INSIDE a different block: like trying to flush a toilet in a bathroom from the house' front door, you are too far away to do so 😉

Your block M1502 that has that attribute's mask can be removed by just manually replacing the text in question using EATTEDIT or ATTEDIT commands.

Message 18 of 19

@spencerj2 wrote:

you will need to click the 3 dots to edit multiline attribute text

or hold down control when you double click on the attribute in the drawing space.

Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.

AutoCAD Certified Professional
Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2022 on Windows 10

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 19 of 19

💚 Exactly what I needed to edit my blocks rapidly!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost