AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

array command

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jholbrookmitchcox
862 Views, 6 Replies

array command

i want to change what happens when i type "array" right now when i type that it does some crazy type of array where it makes a block out of my items and then wants me to stretch them out at a pattern from a seemingly randomly selected point. this version of array has no use for me. if i type "-array" then it's a command promt only version of what i am looking for. what i want to do is change the commands so that when i type "array" then i actually get the command for "-array". i've looked in the CUI list but i can't seem to make it do what i want it to do.

and while i'm on my soap box i want to say to autodesk please stop changing things that work just for the sake of changing things, i loved the GUI for array and i desperately want it back but i refuse to pay for a 3rd party addon for it.

and lastly for everyone that wants to post "just type -array and problem solved, if i wanted to just type -array then i would do that and wouldn't have posted, i want to fix the software like it's beeen for the last 15 years.

thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: jholbrookmitchcox

That is normal behavior for the ARRAY command in 2012, it takes some getting used to, but it is quite easy to use once you forget about the old method:

http://cad-notes.com/2011/03/autocad-2012-new-array-commands/

Here are some good links on how to use the new ARRAY command in AutoCAD 2012:

http://blog.jtbworld.com/2011/03/associative-array-in-autocad-2012.html

http://usa.autodesk.com/autocad-lt/training/#channels_2012 Tutorials

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=2012+array&aq=f

See this link for an alternative (not free) for others not familiar with the topic you mentioned:

http://www.cadnauseam.com/products/classicarray/

Message 3 of 7
jholbrookmitchcox
in reply to: pendean

this does not answer my question, i do not like the new behavior of the array command as i can't even pick a base point, and then either click or type in a spacing distance.

when i type -array it gives me the correct version of the array command but i don't want to have to type the - every time, after 15 years of doing it one way it makes 0 sense to just change it for the sake of changing it. i want my old command back and i want to edit the program to make it work the way i want it to work.

Message 4 of 7

still trying to find out how i can change what a command does in autocad.

thanks

Message 5 of 7
pendean
in reply to: jholbrookmitchcox

New with 2012, you can buy a 3rd party that mimics the old way, or wait and see if by any chance Autodesk puts it back with the next version if not an update sometime before the next version comes out.

Also explore COPY command, it has a basic array feature built into it too, new with 2012.

Why are you typing anything the long way? 15-years in AutoCAD would have exposed you to the PGP file for shortcuts, Script writing for automation is a huge attraction for many users for ease of customization, basic rudementary Lisp is simple if you want to share your preferred/default parameters, as is a quick little macro in CUI command for a favorite button or pulldown menu.

It's not difficult to customize, it's part of the price of the program you are able to do so: share your preferred setting for -array and anyone here can get you started.

Message 6 of 7
jholbrookmitchcox
in reply to: pendean

most of my commands are shortcuts, i found the PGP file yesterday in my desperate search for how to redefine "array" to use "-array" i've edited the PGP file so when i type AR it evokes the -array command giving me what i want. however i have always typed the whole word array and it's just very hard to break a habit. i tried to mess with lisp several years ago but abandoned it because i found no real use for it for what i use cad for.

the only thing i think i could use lisp for is to somehow change the array commend to -array.

and yes i've seen the array like functions in copy but i just prefer to use array since i don't like to change how i do things, heck i even load old versions of the software just so i can still have toolbars because i prefer to click the few commands one time instead of having to click 2-3 times through a ribbon to get the same result.

Message 7 of 7

I can see the potential for this new array command, however I think it is pooly designed. I like to array things and put in an arbitrary number of items and lock in the spacing, then, I just earse the items of the array I don't need. I find this difficult with the new command as i can not change the item count. If it was 7 I can stretch it less than 7, but not more than 7. Plus the orientation and expression dialog is very confusiong. a simple pick object, pick path, spacing, number of items [or drag] would be sweet! A lot of the command changes lately are mind boggling and following the crap that other leeser CAD programs are doing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost