AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Area Schedule Grouping

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
fitztom
540 Views, 4 Replies

Area Schedule Grouping

Is subtotaling still impossible with ACA 2014?

Is there a workaround to what I am trying to do?  I just want to create a table that has a list of all the spaces sorted by name, give a quantity of the spaces and the combined area of all those spaces in one row of the table.

Roughly:

King      4  2000sf

Queen   2 1000sf

Suite     4  3000sf

My attached schedule gives a row for each space, except that it groups spaces of exact same areas.  I want a single row for each room type. 

Also, when working with spaces sometimes using Space_Add, Generate I am met with the response that a space already exists and no space can be added.  The "phantom" space does not show up in the schedule, thawing all layers does not reveal any space and I've tried all my selection tricks to parse a space from the closed boundary that appears empty.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: fitztom

In order to do what you want, you would have to set up Zones and add the Spaces for each bed type to the same Zone, and then schedule the Zones.  ACA Schedule tables will only combine objects with identical information into one line, so unless every Space of a given type has the exact same area, they will not combine into one row.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 5
fitztom

David-

As always, thanks.    You seem to be the only person out there who offers any assistance.  I hope Autodesk gives you some nice perks if not an outright salary.

I got the area summaries to work but I could not find a way to get a quantity of each space type (by Name or by Style).  I first tried to adjust the Property Set Definitions and add an Automatic Property of Name but I get the Zone name not the individual space names that I wish to quantify.  I then tried getting the info by creating a Manual Property using another PSD as a starting spot, Space:Style and Space:Name.  All I get is ?.  Is this asking too much of the Schedule function?

Also, I find the process of linking all the individual spaces to a zone to be really tedious and prone to mistake.  Each floor of my project has over 100 unique spaces. I used the selection filter to find all the spaces of a certain style and link them to the appropriate Zone. But as my project progresses space name s and styles may change which will require manual reassociation with the zones.  Is there any way to automate the linkage through similar naming?  I'm not interested in doing any VBA or lisp.

At this point it seems the best way is to do a schedule using PSD of spaces and then exporting the schedule to excel to do the desired sorting and quantification.

Message 4 of 5
David_W_Koch

I cannot say I have explored all of the possibilities of Zones, but I will offer the following comments:

1.  If you are gathering all of the Spaces of a given Style (and Name?) in one Zone, then the Zone name could be set manually to match the Style Name or Space Name of its Spaces.  If all of the Space Styles or Names assigned to a single Zone are the same, you could add a Location property to the Zone and use that to bring in the Space Style Name or Space Name into the Zone.  See attached sample file for an example of this.

2.  You can use the NumberofSpaces automatic property of Zones to get the number of Spaces that have been assigned to a particular zone.

3.  I cannot argue that the process of assigning Spaces to Zones in a real-world drawing with many Spaces and evolving designs would not be tedious at best and subject to error at worst.  Unfortunately, it is the only way I can think of to do what you asked within the drawing.  You may be correct in thinking that post-processing a Space Schedule in Excel may be the best workflow for what you are trying to accomplish.

The attached sample file was done in ACA 2010, the most recent version to which I had access this evening.  It shows some of the possibilities when scheduling Zones.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 5
FitzUS
in reply to: David_W_Koch

David-

That schedule gets very close to what I am looking for.  Thank you. 

Also I appreciate the confirmation on the "probable" limitation of automation of space assignments to specific zones.  This stuff is pretty complex and often it is hard to discern if something is impossible or I just don't know how to do it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost