AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Architecture 2011 x-ref bind / export problem

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
aburgner
985 Views, 4 Replies

Architecture 2011 x-ref bind / export problem

We bind our x-references and then export the file for use by our consultants.  However, we are having problems with multiple/long layer names when we do this and the consultants recieve the file and explode the bound x-reference blocks(i.e. PT-xref$0$A-wall-full-intr-n instead of A-wall-full-intr-n).

We typically perform the bind as a bind, as opposed to an insert to retain the layers in viewports.  We are exporting to AutoCAD 2004 for our consultants so we recieve a minimal number of complaints from them having problems with our files. 

I have tried changing the system variable BINDTYPE to 1 as recommended in one post.  This binds as an insert as opposed to a bind/bind.  This did not seem to fix the long layer names. 

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may provide.

Amy Burgner

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jmcintyre
in reply to: aburgner

If you really need to retain the full layer names with the 'xref$0$' in the layer name due to viewport freezing, then there's not much else that can be done. Are these consultants relyant on you for work, or are they your client? If they are working for you then I'd suggest they keep their complaints to themselves, or you find another consultant (if they're still using the 2004 format they are WAY out of date).

You do know you don't have to manually bind your xrefs, don't you? Exporting to acad does that for you and the way this is achieved is via a setting in the options, AEC editor tab, 'Export to acad'. etransmit can also do this.

Message 3 of 5
pendean
in reply to: jmcintyre

The recipients can also download the free viewer, which is also a DWG format exporter/converter, to knock files down themselves, which should help the OP not go through all of the above.

Message 4 of 5
aburgner
in reply to: pendean

We have tried to bind the x-references as both bind and insert types and neither seemed to work to get rid of the layer names which include the x-reference name.  I have tried to export to autocad without binding and the export does not create a file, I assume due to errors.  E-transmit has similar problems, where a file is not created.

Regarding the free viewer.  I was able to perform a test using the Trueview program, but encountered the same problems with the layer names.  Is there a way, in this utility, to not have the x-reference name in the layer names?

Thanks

Message 5 of 5
pendean
in reply to: aburgner

It would appear the INSERT options is what yuou want: if it "does not work" make sure your files do not have any issues (RECOVER or AUDIT the Xref files not just the top file they are in) and try again.

XREF command (EXTERNALREFERENCES) has binding options described as follows:

Bind

Binds the selected DWG reference to the current drawing. Xref-dependent named objects are changed from blockname|definitionname to blockname$n$definitionname syntax. In this manner, unique named objects are created for all xref-dependent definition tables bound to the current drawing.

For example, if you have an xref named FLOOR1 containing a layer named WALL, after binding the xref, the xref-dependent layer FLOOR1|WALL becomes a locally defined layer named FLOOR1$0$WALL. The number in $n$ is automatically increased if a local named object with the same name already exists. In this example, if FLOOR1$0$WALL already existed in the drawing, the xref-dependent layer FLOOR1|WALL would be renamed FLOOR1$1$WALL.

Insert

Binds the DWG reference to the current drawing in a way similar to detaching and inserting the reference drawing. Rather than being renamed using blockname$n$definitionname syntax, xref-dependent named objects are stripped of the xref name. As with inserting drawings, no name-incrementing occurs if a local named object shares the same name as a bound xref-dependent named object. The bound xref-dependent named object assumes the properties of the locally defined named object.

For example, if you have an xref named FLOOR1 containing a layer named WALL, after binding with the Insert option, the xref-dependent layer FLOOR1|WALL becomes the locally defined layer WALL.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost