AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotations not scaling with geometry

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
268 Views, 4 Replies

Annotations not scaling with geometry

Sorry, not an experienced user, but really need a solution.

I have been given a dwg that was not created in autocad, some other cad program. However autocad will open it up fine. I need to copy/paste the drawing into my drawing, however when I do, the scale is all wrong. 

I have to scale it up, which I do with the scale function, however, when I do, all the geometry lines etc are fine, but all the annotations stay the same size and dont scale up. 

I have tried messing around with the annotation property on the original drawing but nothing seems to be working. I am sure its probably a minor thing I am overlooking but I just cant seem to find it. I have already tried googling the problem but only come up with solutions on how to scale annotions that dont fix my particular problem.

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Anonymous

Are the drawing units set the same in both files?  In other words, if your target file has one unit set to 1 inch, and the source file has one unit set to 1 foot, or 1 mm, you could have scaling issues when inserting the source file.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Target file is set to millimeters and the source file is set to Unitless. Have tried to reset those to match each other and clipboard copy in but no good when I try to rescale them.

I have tried to insert the source as a block. It did work when I scaled it up. However I can no longer edit the individual 'items' as it is a block. I use the explode command and then all the annotations revert back to the original source size leaving the geometry the correct size.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

ok, so I've gotten to this stage now.

On the original drawing I selected all and exploded drawing. Some of the annotations increased in size(scale?) 

Then I did what I have been doing normally and clipboard copy/paste to target drawing. I then scaled up to the size I am after and now all the annotations are working as should (correct size and being able to be individually selected).

So what it appears to be is the original drawing has blocks nestled in it which needed to be exploded before importing into the other drawing.

I'm not too familiar with this. Is this normal? Can anyone explain what has happened please ?

Message 5 of 5
David_W_Koch

It is hard to say what is going on without having the file(s) in hand.  What sort of objects are the annotations in the original file?  Could any of those, or any nested content in those, already be defined in the target file (but perhaps differently)?  There could be some combination of differences in annotative content definitions working at cross purposes, or perhaps attributed content where the text style used by the attributes is non-annotative in one file but annotative in the other.  If the original annotations are annotative Multi-View Blocks, the annotative scaling on those takes into account both the annotation scale(s) assigned and the annotation plot size.  If the annotation plot size in the source file was larger than the annotation plot size in the target file, the annotation would shrink accordingly.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost