AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACA2011 Switching Drawings By Itself

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
CCAP
872 Views, 18 Replies

ACA2011 Switching Drawings By Itself

Several users here in my office have been having a strange issue with ACA 2011.  When doing various things such as, saving, regen'ing, or manually switching between open drawings, ACA will "blink" to a completely different drawing.

For example, right now I have 4 drawings open.  I'm trying to go from drawing A to drawing B.  It goes to drawing B and starts to regen model space, then it blinks back to drawing A.  Does the same for any of the 4 drawings.  Only way to make it stop was to close drawing A.

As I said, it not only does this when switching drawings.  It'll also do it after it's done saving and when I try to regen.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Is there a fix?

Thanks!

Matt

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
pendean
in reply to: CCAP

method of switching between the drawings?

Windows version?

Message 3 of 19
CCAP
in reply to: pendean

I go to the Window menu and click the drawing I want to open.  But it's not just when I switch drawings.  So, it's not a method of switching drawings problem.  Seems to happen more often than not when it's attempting to regen.

Windows 7 x64

Message 4 of 19
CCAP

Nothing, huh?  Guess it's just us.

Message 5 of 19
pendean

Are you running an add-on to ACA?

Message 6 of 19
CCAP

Nope...no add-ons.  Unless you count Express Tools.  Which I don't think you are.

I should mention again in this thread:  This seems to be isolated to just Windows7 64 machines.  XP 32 machines are not seeing this.

Message 7 of 19
brian_nt

I have the same problem when im working on large drawings.

Message 8 of 19
CCAP
in reply to: brian_nt

Glad to know I'm not alone.  Yes, it does appear to happen primarily with drawings that take a bit to regen.  It's like there's a time limit on the regen and it just goes back tot he previous drawing.  Maybe I should just draw one detail per file to make sure the AutoCAD gods don't get angry. 🙂

Message 9 of 19
m177

I have the same problem with 2012 AutoCAD on my Windows 7 64 bit computer.  It just started happening for the first time today.  Perhaps it has something to do with the particular projects that I just started on too.  It is quite annoying.  The only way I can work in AutoCAD now is by having only one drawing open at a time.

Looking at the xrefs for the drawings that I seem to have problems with, they range between 18MB to 35MB.  Perhaps they are too large?

One of the xrefs

Message 10 of 19
demus72
in reply to: m177

I am having the same issue using C3D 2012 on Win 7 64 bit. When I have multiple drawings open and I run a command like save or regen on a larger drawing, when the process is done it automatically switches to another open drawings. It is pretty easy to switch back but this issue has become quite annoying. Anyone know what is causing this and if there is a fix?

Thank you.

Message 11 of 19
CCAP
in reply to: demus72

The only thing I have found to cut down on this problem at all is to use the taskbar to switch between drawings instead of the Window menu in AutoCAD.  Of course that does nothing for just a plain manual regen or switching between layouts, etc.  It is an incredibly annoying problem and I have never found a fix for it. 😕

Message 12 of 19
pendean

It happens on long save times in large files I bet, correct? In time with an autosave to kick-in perhaps?

Or is it only repeatable if you have "many" files open, instead of say 2 or 3?

Message 13 of 19
demus72

Thanks for the reply Dean. Yes, it happens on long saves or long regens which is typical of larger files, but it will happen with only two drawings open.

Thanks.

Message 14 of 19
jmartinarch

Same Problem.  ACA2011 Win 7 64x

2-3 files open, even small files.  2  or 3, or 5 megs.

It usually happens in the afternoon after a full day of drafting.  It is like it is getting tired! 

If I close out and restart is seems to improve.  Maybe it is trying to remember everthing and by the afternoon it just can't handle it.  Yes it is annoying.

Message 15 of 19
CCAP
in reply to: jmartinarch

Yeah, same here.  Will do it with only two drawings open.  Seems to be mostly tied to anything that requires a regen with larger drawings.  I've tried doing full purges and audits on the drawings.  Still does it.

ACA2012 Win7 64bit

Message 16 of 19
pendean

There are only three triggers here that we have identified (Win7 64bit, regardless of AutoCAD version or variant):

- QSAVE takes longer than the user has autosave set for (solution: no one needs autsave set to 1-3 minutes)

- Win7 kicks into a "not responding" phase while saving a file. No cure, Win7 can be a POS sometimes.

- More than 6-files are open in a session, it will always happen whether QSAVE is long or short. (solution: nothing practical, but if you don't really need 6-files open then don't when possible).

Message 17 of 19
demus72

I have been on Windows 7 for almost two years now and have only experienced this issue in the last couple months.

I don't use autosave.

I have experienced this issue with only two drawings open.

Message 18 of 19
jorelv

Hi Guys,

Has anyone found any solutions for this problem? It looks like I have the typical symptom of CAD 2012 switching drawings by itself while momentarily freezing. Looks like it's due partially to the OS -  64 bit windows 7....

Message 19 of 19
biosfixguy
in reply to: jorelv

Same, on long time saving or regen.

ACAD MEP 2012 with SP2

Also here http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-46078.html

My "solution" : press a couple times of "Esc" before it happen AGAIN.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost