AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACA 3dorbit slow and CPU intensive

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
Anonymous
232 Views, 0 Replies

ACA 3dorbit slow and CPU intensive

Hello all, I am in the midst of upgrading from an older laptop to a workstation for residential plans etc.

My current "new" setup is a Z400 running a W3680 3.3GHz CPU, 12 Gig RAM, 10krpm HDD, and a Quadro FX3700 for a graphics card, all on Windows 7 64bit Pro, SP1.  The software in question is AutoCAD Architecture 2013.

I have the ACA verifed drivers installed and I don't have any stability issues.  I usually work in the model view.  My top 2D wireframe layouts are smooth and fast.  My 3D model view (usually conceptual or x-ray) is slow and frequently degreades below 5FPS (the default for autodegradation settings to kick in).

I don't have a complex plan, simple ranch home, a few objects like sinks, cabinets windows doors etc and a roof object.  During 3DORBIT I expected a large improvement over my laptop with this newer workstation, but it is more or less the same as my older laptop with integrated graphics.

I pulled up my CPU graphs through Windows and my Nvidia GPU chart to see what was being utilized.  It appears for 2d work the GPU is doing 0-50% and the CPU is mostly just running idle.  In the 3D viewport, my GPU goes idle and one of my CPU cores is usually around 100%.  I have hardware enabled, I have tried several different options etc but nothing seems to make it "smooth".  

Sorry for the long into but my question for confirmation is, ACA uses a single CPU core for 3DORBIT and only uses the GPU for 2d work, correct?

I've read ACA isn't a multi-threading software.  But the CPU is used for "real time" 3dorbit and the GPU is used for 2d work, I just can't work that through my head!  (Hence the need for confirmation).

I don't do a lot of work in the 3dobit section until I get to roof and stair work.  

I apologize if you read this post in the Installation and Licenseing forum, I could not find a way to move or delete my post.

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost