AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACA 2014 Space Styles vs Space Names

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
FitzUS
379 Views, 2 Replies

ACA 2014 Space Styles vs Space Names

I'm doing floor plans of hotels and am attempting to do an area plan that shows the various room types in different colors and then does a take off of the cumulative area for each type of room.  I have two ways of approaching this.  One works but is a bit tedious.  The other is the way I would like it to work and just want to know if it is possible.

I have created a Space Style for each room type as follows:

King

Double Queen

1.5 Bay Suite

2 Bay Suite

To get a consistent name on each space I've created four List Definitions that duplicates the names above and assigned the respective space names to each style respectively.  This works fine.  It allows me to have separate colors for each space type and I can get the labels to read the type of room for each.  I will then create a schedule that tabulates the overall area and quantity of each type.  However it seems like extra steps.

What I believe is a more straightforward approach is to create one Space Style called Guestrooms and then have one List Definition of each type of room and assign the names as desired.  The color of the space would change according to the name from the list definition.  From what I can tell, the display properties have to be described in each Space Style.  Space Names cannot control the hatch colors.

Can someone confirm my assumptions or suggest a more simplified approach?

Thanks,

Tom

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
David_W_Koch
in reply to: FitzUS

You might want to look into Display Themes.  You should be able to create one based on the property holding your Space name, and drive the color the Display Theme assigns to the Space based on the name, particularly so in your case, where you have a pre-defined list of names that will be used.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 3
David_W_Koch
in reply to: FitzUS

If you were to continue making separate Space Styles for each Space type, you could also have your Space tag display the Space Style name, avoiding the need to assign a Space name that matches.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost