AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACA 2012 performance?

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
hjs
Enthusiast
1872 Views, 21 Replies

ACA 2012 performance?

Hi,

We are planning an upgrade and have to make a decision, 2011 or 2012 (with 1st SP when its released). But from our experience 2011 is really slow.

I was wondering what the performance of 2012 is like?
Better than 2011?

Read below if you want to know why I am asking.

The reason I am asking is because we have moved 1 hospital project to ACA 2011 64b and the performance is not good. We were forced to move because of the design team and this was done ¾ of the way through the project. So the drawings were not started in 2011 but in 2009.

Our team has 8 users, 6 0n Win7 64b and 2 of which have 32b ACA 2011 and Win7. We use PN for the project. We have loads of other projects on PN but on ACA 2009 and its not that slow. Even this project was not that slow in ACA 2009.

All of them are complaining they are waiting minutes for drawings to open and close and other tasks tha involves the network it seems. Some users say they lose at least an hour a day if not more.

We only use spaces, walls, doors and windows on plan to schedule. I know it’s in 3D but we don’t model the whole thing in 3D.
We use basic wall build ups. Mostly just 2 lines, we don’t show detail in the walls just some hatch in some of them.
The doors and windows property sets contain the information for the schedules. But they use a location mark and formula to get the door and window number.

We use xrefs extensively.
There are 876 dwg’s in the PN with average size of 1.9MB. 410 dwg’s are Sheets.

I have done all the settings Autodesk has suggested in a support case. No real improvement. Their final comment was upgrade to 2012. Purged, recovered and left it a few months in the hope that it would improve as all drawings were eventually opened and saved in 2011.

Like I said, all of this information was in 2009 and it was twice as fast in 2009. Not quick, but acceptable, what you would expect from a big project.

Our Average Hardware:

Processor:    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5420  @ 2.50GHz, 2493 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM):      4.00 GB
Network:        Win server 2003    Speed: 100MB used with CAT 6 cables.
Display Adapter Description:   NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700

Because of all this I am reluctant to move 34 other seats to 2011 or 2012.
I have asked our reseller for his opinion but he gave me the usual answer. There are no problems with 2012 from
any of their other customers. Said the same about 2011.

I don’t know if is something we are doing wrong. Hardware or software or because the drawings is started in 2009. And Autodesk cant give me an answer other than upgrade and the y are not paying for produtivity lost bacause of their software.

34 for x 2 hours a day waiting for ACA = 0 productivity.

Thanks for you input.

21 REPLIES 21
Message 21 of 22
mavsfan
in reply to: MarySeufert

Homer, just be sure that all of your client computers have EVERY win 7 update installed, including SP1 and anything since. We had issues at first with ACA2012 but found most went away once computers were updated.

Message 22 of 22
mavsfan
in reply to: mchristop

Homer, that was worth a try. I turned off the preview pane in explorer and ran some tests but still get the 'file is in use' error message...I also have the box unchecked that opens the DWF in design review, so nothing is even opening the DWF and still getting the 'in use' error.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost