Re: ACA 2012 performance?

09-14-2011 09:12 AM in reply to: hjs

We use Eset Nod32.

~ Mary

mavsfan
Message 12 of 22 (482 Views)

09-14-2011 09:25 AM in reply to: hjs

We migrated away from McAfee about 5 years ago, nothing but problems. We were only using it because Dell installed it automatically on new pc's, but as you find there is no free lunch, that software cost us in so many other ways such as malware and adware infections. I noticed recently a couple of our computers installed Adobe Reader X, and McAfee installed itself on those computers, which just underscores that it was a correct decision to move away from McAfee. In my book, legitimate software DOES NOT install itself automatically without user permission, and I regard software that does that as hostile. It is possible those users missed a checkbox that would have prevented the install, but nevertheless there are better options out there. We use Trend Micro, and while I wouldn't say it's perfect, it is much better than McAfee at keeping our systems clean.

Regarding the thread, we are in process of demoting our 2003 servers and elevating our 2008 x64 server to control network communications, I will post here with our results in a few days.

Contributor hjs
Contributor
hjs
Message 13 of 22 (473 Views)

09-15-2011 06:19 AM in reply to: mavsfan

Hi,

An update on what we have been doing so far.

We uninstalled McAfee totally on a test machine to see if
that would help. NO LUCK. Sped up the other software but not ACA.

Our next plan.

Map a test pc to our backup server to see if it’s a problem
with that specific server.

IT assures me that the xrefs will work because it will think
that its still on the original server. So it should be a valid test.

Observations so far:

I have advised the users that are moaning that they should
not use the Project Navigator.

Opening and closing files are fine when you do this. Same
speed as a week ago.

The problem comes when you touch/hover/expand Project Navigator.
You just sit there for more than minute while its thinking.

We will do the test this afternoon and see what’s happening.

Contributor hjs
Contributor
hjs
Message 14 of 22 (458 Views)

09-16-2011 04:47 AM in reply to: hjs

Hi,

Update.

It seems ACA 2009 32 and 64 bit project navigator has got a
problem communicating with MS Server 2008 64 bit.

Why???

It was not anti virus.

We connected back to week old 2003 server and was fine.

Not the switch.

Not the network.

Not the workstation(s).

All updates on pc and server.

Not admin rights.

Not the pure file server OS. The fileserver not the DC server, excahnge server or anything else but the file server

For some reason PN 09 and Server 2008 dont like each other.

Solution:

I have upgraded a project team to ACA 2011 on the same
files/project and no problem. Working like a dream.

Big risk because they have a deadline in the next few days
but it paid off and it looks like they will make it.

So that solves my 2009 problem it seems and also my upgrade
issue. We will go for 2011 in the end.

Now for the rest of the office.

Still does not explain why 2011 and 2012 is slower than 2010.

Why and what is making it slower?

Can you disable the bits that make it slower?

Hope somebody can answer this.

Active Contributor
Homer_Jones
Message 15 of 22 (442 Views)

09-16-2011 01:34 PM in reply to: MarySeufert

Mary,

I am curious if you are using the Project Navigator.  You are the first person I have heard of that is not having problems with ACA2012 Win7 64 accessing project navigator files on a server.

Thanks.

Active Contributor
mavsfan
Message 16 of 22 (439 Views)

09-16-2011 02:20 PM in reply to: Homer_Jones

Homer, we are using PN extensively in ACA2012, there really hasn't been an issue with PN once we got the legion of win 7 updates installed on client computers..before that we would get blue spinning circle when hovering over items in the navigator palette. We did have one computer this week that was hanging during the splash screen, when it was trying to load navigator, I had to take the install back to default settings to finally open acad.

Per my earlier post, we have now been running on server 2008 R2 on an x64 server for two days, and it seemed to have solved our spinning blue circle in explorer, although the jury may still be out as I had to reboot one computer several times today to get it working normally.

One interesting development with PN is that our users normally use the PUBLISH command with their navigator sets, but we've found that we are unable to overwrite a networked DWF or PDF file of the same name from within the PUBLISH routine, error message being that the file is in use, when it is not. However further digging found that we have the same issue in ACA2011. After much correspondence with autodesk support, it was admitted that there is a defect in the PUBLISH routine that is not going to be fixed anytime soon. I thought I would share this with the world and save someone the hours I spent troubleshooting that. 

*Expert Elite*
MarySeufert
Message 17 of 22 (431 Views)

09-16-2011 06:17 PM in reply to: Homer_Jones

Yes we use the PN.

Every so often we will get a hiccup when another user saves a file xrefed into what you have open. But that is pretty typical with any version or year of AutoCAD.

Time to go home. Hopefully ACA SP1 comes out soon!

~ Mary

ccaponigro
Message 18 of 22 (391 Views)

10-05-2011 06:17 AM in reply to: hjs

I hope autodesk is listening. Windows 7 64 bit and Architecture is a disaster. We all have brand new HP computers with lots of expensive cards and we are nearly at a stand still. I am ready after close to 30 years of autocad experience to abandon autodesk and look elsewhere for software solutions. Just for the record I have Revit 2012 and it's just as bad if not worse. I know this does not help you but 2006 was pretty good and all down hill from there. I have not been this frustrated and angry at anytime in my career. Good luck!

Active Contributor
Homer_Jones
Message 19 of 22 (386 Views)

10-05-2011 06:44 AM in reply to: ccaponigro

Thanks for the input everyone.

I am about to purchase a new Win2008 x64 server in order to speed up ACA2012 project navigator on Win7 x64 workstations. My big question is:

Is anyone having these problems that has a Win2008 x64 server?

Active Contributor
Homer_Jones
Message 20 of 22 (380 Views)

10-05-2011 06:53 AM in reply to: mavsfan

mavsfan,

I just encountered something similar to this publishing to my documents. I discovered that in windows explorer I had the preview pane toggled on therefore the preview had locked the file that was selected. Once I turned the preview pane off, the problem went away. The toggle is on the top right corner of the explorer. I hope this is the problem you are having, because I don't need any more problems to look forward to after getting the Win2008 x64 server.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!