AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a couple glitches with 2010

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
bzeone
545 Views, 12 Replies

a couple glitches with 2010

So has anyone else experienced any problems with MText disabling the ribbons? When MText is used either thru the leader command or just by using MText, once i click OK after adding text, all the ribbons & tools on them become unselectable (light grey). I already tried Repairing.

also, when trying to create a Page Setup i get an Unsupported Capability error that i can't close (by clicking OK or Cancel). i have Ctrl+Alt+Delete and shut Arch down (see attached jpg)

Any ideas?

Brandon
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: bzeone

Have you noticed the light green contextual tab? Click on it.

wrote in message
news:6175176@discussion.autodesk.com...
So has anyone else experienced any problems with MText disabling the
ribbons? When MText is used either thru the leader command or just by using
MText, once i click OK after adding text, all the ribbons & tools on them
become unselectable (light grey). I already tried Repairing.

also, when trying to create a Page Setup i get an Unsupported Capability
error that i can't close (by clicking OK or Cancel). i have Ctrl+Alt+Delete
and shut Arch down (see attached jpg)

Any ideas?

Brandon
Message 3 of 13
bzeone

The text editor ribbon opens when the MText is open and when I click OK to exit MText, the text editor ribbon closes and switches back to the previous ribbon (Home). Except everything is unselectable. There isn't a contextual tab at this point (Annotate is also unselectable). This only occurs on one of our work stations.

Brandon
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Sorry, didn't interpret your OP correctly. The system works fine for me.
You might consider a repair install.

wrote in message
news:6175992@discussion.autodesk.com...
The text editor ribbon opens when the MText is open and when I click OK to
exit MText, the text editor ribbon closes and switches back to the previous
ribbon (Home). Except everything is unselectable. There isn't a contextual
tab at this point (Annotate is also unselectable). This only occurs on one
of our work stations.

Brandon
Message 5 of 13
bzeone

Oh this gets better & better After an uninstall / reinstall, text editing has become very interesting! See attached file which shows the ribbon taking 90% of the screen.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

i am have the exact sample problem also. hopefully there will a update patch soon.
Message 7 of 13
David_W_Koch

Do not load both the ACA.cuix and ACAD.cuix files at the same time. There is a conflict between the two versions of the MTEXT contextual ribbon tab. If you want both, you will need to create a customize version of the ACAD.cuix file that has the MTEXT contextual ribbon tab deleted. (You may want to check for other duplicate contextual ribbon tabs and delete those, if any.)

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

!!!
Memory may not serve me perfectly, but I seem to recall that there have
always been items in each of those cui files that do not exist in the
other. Am I incorrect? Or if that is the case, has that been resolved?
I have always loaded both cui files, but I won't if it's going to
cause problems like this. Thanks for the heads-up.

David_W._Koch wrote:
> Do not load both the ACA.cuix and ACAD.cuix files at the same time.
> There is a conflict between the two versions of the MTEXT contextual
> ribbon tab. If you want both, you will need to create a customize
> version of the ACAD.cuix file that has the MTEXT contextual ribbon tab
> deleted. (You may want to check for other duplicate contextual ribbon
> tabs and delete those, if any.)
Message 9 of 13
David_W_Koch

Yes, the two CUIX files are different, but it is not the things that are unique to both that are the problem, but the things that are included in both. In the past, there were issues with having both ACAD and ADT menus loaded due to incompatibilities between the Refedit toolbars (on certain computer configurations). I personally toasted an ADT installation some years back by doing that. All was well when you initially loaded the ACAD menu, but after closing the program and reopening it, you would get the palettes but no main drawing window. If you edited the ACAD menu file and stripped out the Refedit toolbar, you were good to go. Apparently, the dueling MTEXT contextual ribbon tabs introduce a problem in 2010. If there are things you really want/need in the ACAD.cuix file, take the time to set up a custom CUIX file and transfer the must-have stuff into that.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

BOOOOOO!!!!! I hate having to edit the OOTB files, since I will just
have to do it again with the next upgrade. That's pretty lame on
Autodesk's part IMO.
Well, thanks for the info anyway.

David_W._Koch wrote:
> Yes, the two CUIX files are different, but it is not the things that are
> unique to both that are the problem, but the things that are included in
> both. In the past, there were issues with having both ACAD and ADT menus
> loaded due to incompatibilities between the Refedit toolbars (on certain
> computer configurations). I personally toasted an ADT installation some
> years back by doing that. All was well when you initially loaded the
> ACAD menu, but after closing the program and reopening it, you would get
> the palettes but no main drawing window. If you edited the ACAD menu
> file and stripped out the Refedit toolbar, you were good to go.
> Apparently, the dueling MTEXT contextual ribbon tabs introduce a problem
> in 2010. If there are things you really want/need in the ACAD.cuix file,
> take the time to set up a custom CUIX file and transfer the must-have
> stuff into that.
Message 11 of 13
cprettyman

So far as I can tell, there are fewer cases of Ribbon tabs/panels that are available in ACAD.CUIx ; but not in ACA.CUIx than there are examples of menus appearing in one, not the other.

ACAD has a "Home 2D" and a "Home 3D" that give quick access to basic drawing and modeling tools that are not as readily accessible in ACA.
There is a Mesh Modeling tab in the ACAD ribbons which ACA does not have.
ACA has one output tab, with plotting and 3D output, where ACAD has separate tabs for 2D and 3D output.
The view tabs are very different - one for ACA, with more focus on view style and effects, compared to two separate tabs for ACAD.

In terms of contextual tab states, I have found three contexts in which a tab is activated in ACAD, but not in ACA, so you might want to keep these, or redefine them:
Section Selected: Section Contextual tab
Mesh Subentity with Faces (smooth) selected: Mesh Subentity with faces contextual tab
Mesh Subentity without Faces (smooth) selected: Mesh Subentity without faces contextual tab

I am attaching a spreadsheet, comparing Tabs, panels, and contexts for the two CUIx files. Edited by: c.prettyman@ramsa.com on Jun 22, 2009 1:58 PM (spell checked)
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

Before posting what should resolve the issue, I need to say...Please, Please, Please report any issues like this to Autodesk. If you're on subscription, please e-mail them the issue. If you aren't on subscription, please talk to your reseller and have them report it. When I talked to Autodesk about this issue, they've only had this issue reported to them TWICE. I had two in one day and obviously there's more than cases than that out there. These groups are great for getting answers, but if there is an issue with the product, they need to be reported...not just discussed on the discussion groups. Okay, I'm going to step down from my soapbox now. 🙂

Hopefully this may help the situation a little. I had two people call into our support with this same issue, which I could not produce on my end. A call (for me being a reseller AE) into Autodesk produced a response of...

"...need to do a clean uninstall ACA and also uninstall .NET versions. Then, reinstall ACA and let it install the .NET. Also, if they used the Migration Assistant, do NOT use it again with the new install."

The clean uninstall and reinstall did the trick of fixing the Mtext disabling/graying out the Ribbon as long as the Migration of settings wasn't used. A new install on a separate computer worked out just fine as well, again without using the Migration. Also, if you install the .NET versions directly from Microsoft first, the installation should go much quicker.

Below are the steps given to me via Autodesk. (which were derived from - http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=9700956&linkID=9240657)

Use the steps below to uninstall ACA 2010 fully to allow for a full clean reinstall.

You may experience issues with AutoCAD® Architecture (formerly known as Architectural Desktop) or AutoCAD® MEP (formerly known as Building Systems) after failed installs or uninstalls of other Autodesk products.

In these cases, it is strongly recommended that you completely remove the product from the system, and then try to reinstall the product.

Important! You should back up any customized Autodesk files before you implement the following procedures - (Unless you are going to recreate the workspaces manually which we recommend.)

To completely remove the product from your system:
1. Log on as a member of the “Local Administrator” group and disable any antivirus or anti-spyware programs.
2. In the Control Panel, double-click Add or Remove Programs in Windows XP, or select Programs and Features in Windows Vista.
3. Select the product and click Remove.
Using Windows Explorer, browse to and delete the following folders:

For Products on Windows XP:
C:\Program Files\AutoCAD Architecture 2010
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Autodesk\ACA 2010\
C:\Documents and Settings\ USERNAME \Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\ ACA 2010\
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\My Documents\ACA 2010\
C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ACA 2010\

For Products on Windows Vista:

C:\Program Files\ AutoCAD Architecture 2010
C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ACA 2010
C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\ACA 2010

To delete the registry keys and reinstall the product
1. Log on as member of the “Local Administrator” group and disable any antivirus or anti-spyware programs.
2. On the Start menu in Windows XP, click Run. On the Start menu in Windows Vista, use the Search box.
3. Enter regedit in the text box and click OK in Windows XP or press in Windows Vista to start the Registry Editor.
4. In the Registry Editor, locate the following keys and delete them:
o HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R18.0\ACAD-8004:409
o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R18.0\ACAD-8004:409

5. Delete the files in the Local Administrator's C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp directory to make sure that cached files are not used during the reinstallation.
6. Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to make sure that your Windows computer has all of the current updates and patches. Install any updates and patches as needed.
7. Restart your computer.
8. Log on as a member of the Local Administrator group and disable any antivirus or anti-spyware programs.
9. Reinstall the product.

Warning! Problems caused by improperly editing the Windows registry could render your computer operating system unusable. Microsoft provides critical information that you need to know about the registry in the Microsoft Knowledge Base at: http://support.microsoft.com/support.

Use the Microsoft Registry Editor only at your own risk and only after backing up the registry as well as the system.dat and user.dat files as outlined for your operating system in following Microsoft Knowledge Base related solution at: http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS66513. Additional information about the registry is also contained in the Help topics in the Microsoft Registry Editor.

Dwane Lindsey
MasterGraphics Inc.
Sr. Application Engineer
Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

Dear C.,
Thanks for doing the chart. I was always looking for one or doing one, but found never the time to set it up. It's a great resource.

I miss the mesh modeling tab in the aca.cuix. How do I get it in? In the cui editor, I am unsuccessful to add it or transfer it from the acad.cuix. Do you know the procedure?
Thanks,
Cord

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost