AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d Printing Questions from Autocad Architecture

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
tachout
2169 Views, 13 Replies

3d Printing Questions from Autocad Architecture

I am in the process of setting up my 3d Printer.  I am going to be using Autocad Architecture to do my design work.  I want to convert the file to .stl.  I know I can do it with Autocad Architecture 2015.  At home I only have 2009.  Will it still do STLOut?  Also will Architectural Walls and Doors and Windows print on a 3d Printer like a Solid?  I would love for them to print the exterior line, and interior line leaving the walls hollow.  Anyone have experience with this that would like to share?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
pendean
in reply to: tachout

STL command in AutoCAD is limited to exporting SOLID and "watertight" MESH object types only. Not walls, doors, etc.

Explore the comamnd STLOUT in HELP in AutoCAD.
Message 3 of 14
dbroad

Guessing here:  With a copy of your architectural model file (all AEC objects, no xrefs), view your model in 3d so that all objects are in model representation.  Use the masselement convert command (selecting all aecobjects) and choose yes to delete objects.  Then use the convertto3dsolids command to convert the masselements to 3dsolids.  That should get you to the point where you could output the STL file.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 4 of 14
John.W.Mumaw
in reply to: dbroad

And to continue on what Doug is proposing; if you want your windows and doors to be empty holes in your walls, first convert them all to openings.  They should then be empty when they convert to mass elements and then to solids.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design
Message 5 of 14
dgorsman
in reply to: John.W.Mumaw

Holes for doors and windows should work fine, but keep in mind the printer has a minimum practical printing thickness.  Thin shapes may not be possible.  It may also be to your advantage to break the project out into a series of simpler interlocking parts for assembly after printing to help avoid printing errors.  If it gibbles something in the last couple of steps you only have to repeat that part, not the entire model.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 14
TexShalter
in reply to: dgorsman

Here's my experience using a 3D printer:

1. Your stl will have to be scaled down to print, & most 3D printers use MM.

Assuming you use feet /inches in ACA: Here are my rough scales after you bring the model into the printer's software: 

for 1/8" = 1'      scale your model  down to 26.46 %

for 3/32"= 1     scale it down 1 to 19.85 %

for 1/16 = 1 scale it to 13.23 % ( yes, that's tiny )

2. "Convertto3dsolids" is invaluable, but then you have to union all your solids together. If they're difficult to join, copy the solid part offset by 1/8" or so inside ACA and try to union them again.

3.  2" thick is about as thin as you can make something print at 1/8"=1'-0" 

4. Good advise about breaking the model into parts because ... ( see 5)

5.  You will have failed prints, Don't give up.

Message 7 of 14
dgorsman
in reply to: TexShalter

Niiiiice 🙂

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 14
Gary_J_Orr

too bad my old training video (from ADT 2004) is too big to upload... walks one right through the process.

Also of note... the printer software should be capable of performing the translation of units from inches to mm so all you should have to do is scale the solid by what you want it printed in (48 for 1/4", etc). prior to exporting

-Gary

Gary J. Orr
(Your Friendly Neighborhood) CADD/BIM/VDC Applications Manager
http://www.linkedin.com/in/garyorr

aka (current and past user names):
Gary_J_Orr (GOMO Stuff 2008-Present); OrrG (Forum Studio 2005-2008); Gary J. Orr (LHB Inc 2002-2005); Orr, Gary J. (Gossen Livingston 1997-2002)
Message 9 of 14
tedwardspg

may I ask how much that model costs do that on a 3d printer?
ACA 2013
Windows 7 enterprise
Intel core i7 860 @ 2.80GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 - 4GB
Message 10 of 14
MarySeufert
in reply to: tedwardspg

To further hijack this thread...

Interesting news that Autodesk is getting into the hardware side of 3D printing...

http://diy3dprinting.blogspot.com/2014/05/autodesk-rocks-industry-with-spark.html

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 11 of 14
TexShalter

My machine is a 3Dsystems CubeX. It goes for between $ 2500 -3500

The model is about $40 worth of plastic, the waste was maybe a little more than that

Message 12 of 14
TexShalter

I am using a 3D systems CubeX. They cost from about $ 2,500- 3,500

The model took about $ 40 in plastic, &  I wasted about as much due to failures

Message 13 of 14
markselig

I want to thank everyone for your help with this.  I have a couple of different work arounds.  I am also working on the interlocking parts and separating my house.  I am thinking of printing it out as 1/2"=1' so it is doll house size.  Mind you the first one is going to be a Portfolio piece to go with my AutoCAD Architecture, and Revit Drawings as well as Renders in Maya.  My goal is to do 4 houses (They are designed in Architecture) so then all I have to do is put them into Revit and do renders in all (3) software.  Then I am going to get all of the models printed out to do a presentation to different builders in my area to offer this service to them.  I also plan on offering different levels of material take offs.  Right now I am working a full time job and have a family so my time is quite limited, however once complete I am going to see if I can get this into a full time business.  I will post updates and pictures of this as I go.

Message 14 of 14
mark663LL

I have been working through this process and have had great success.  Here is my process for preparing the model to print

1.  Open floor plan and clean the plan of everything other than the AEC Objects (Walls, windows and doors) that I want to print and do a save as.

2.  In the save as file, I verify all walls doors and windows are correct height.  I then scale the whole project to the scale I want to print at.  I verify that this will fit into my build plate.  If it does not,  I break the model into files that will fit on my build plate.

3.  Using masselement convert, I select all items in file, and convert them

4.  Using Converttos3dsolids, I select all items in file, and convert them

5. Using Export I export the file saving it as an STL File

6.  I open up my slicer program for my printer and slice the file

7.  Send the sliced file to my resin printer and wait for it to finish.

8.  I clean and cure the prints (I use a Phrozen Transform Resin Printer)

9.  Using Super Glue I glue all parts together that go together

10.  I drill small holes and glue magnets into parts that are held together with magnets

11.  I prime the entire model

12.  I paint the model and apply surface materials as necessary (Like carpet and the like - I use doll house items for furnishings and finishes)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost