AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D wireframe changes wall colors

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
STFD-Dave
2217 Views, 13 Replies

2D wireframe changes wall colors

In model space, my walls all show with correct colors.  However, when I go into a tab, the viewport is showing my walls in different colors than what I have specified.  There are no overrides within the viewport.  The display is 2D wireframe.  If I change the display to 3D wireframe, the colors change to the correct ones, but the dimension hashes are also in wireframe, not filled.  Does anyone know why the 2D display is changing my wall colors and how I can change these to show as I want them to?  Thanks very much for any help! I'm so thankful for the brilliant people on these boards willing to help out!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: STFD-Dave

Is it possible to get a simplified sample file posted of what is going on?

Message 3 of 14
STFD-Dave
in reply to: Anonymous

Here are a couple screen shots....

the colors are correct in model space with the 2D configuration, but when I go into a tab and into the viewport, the colors change.

I'm sure it's a setting somewhere because I know it didn't do this in 2012 (at least the way I have it set up) so there's got to be something I'm missing.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 14
David_W_Koch

Do you have the same Display Configuration set current on both the Model "tab" and in the layout viewport?  In your images, from what I could tell, it appeared that the only difference was the lack of a magenta line at the outline of Walls, which suggests that the Shrink Wrap component was not being displayed in the incorrect version.

Is your Shrink Wrap component turned on in the active Display Representation for Walls in the incorrect version?  If so, is it mapped to a layer?  Could that layer be turned off or frozen (globally or in the viewport)?

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I agree with David it sounds like the Display Configuration is a bit off. Does this happen in all files or just this one? If you copy the wall out to a new file does that behavior exist there? Is it only this wall type?

Message 6 of 14
STFD-Dave

Thanks for the reply, David.  Yes, the same display configuration is set for both.  They are both medium detail.  In fact, I had all of this set the exact same way in 2012 and everything worked fine.  Now, (and this answers the question Lance posed below) I can even open an old drawing that worked in 2012 perfectly with the exact same settings and the walls will now have the wrong color now in the floor plan view with the 2D representation set.  It happens for my template and all drawings that I open.  They worked fine in 2012 and now that Ive installed 2013 the viewports will NOT show the lines correctly. As I mentioned, everything looks fine in model space.  Its just when I'm looking at model space through a viewport with the 2D representation and Medium Detail set.  As you mentioned, it seems to just be the "blue" shrink wrap that is overlaying on top of the correct colors showing.  I don't know where that setting would be to look at because it is magenta in all the wall styles and even in the viewport.  There aren't any overrides set. I've attached a screen shot of my layer manager with all my "wall" layers.  Does anyone see anything out of place or something that might be causing the "blue" shrinkwrap? I think I am going to have to open a copy of 2012 and the 2013 and open the display manager for both and compare every single screen down to the last detail to see what has changed.  This is just infuriating!  I haven't done much customization - save for layering and getting the walls to come in on the layers I've specified by adjusting the display properties within the wall styles.  Why am I all of a sudden having problems with something that has worked perfectly up to this point?  It almost makes you not want to upgrade because of this type of problem.  Thanks for your help!

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Is this a custom wall or an OOTB wall type? If OOTB what wall type is it exactly?

If not can you make a file with just this wall in it and upload it?

Message 8 of 14
STFD-Dave

Hey Lance,

These are wall styles I created based on ones that were OOTB. (I looked at how the standard walls were created and then made my own based on those).  I've attached a dwg file showing the walls I'm having the issue with.  I stripped out everything except the walls and the one tab with the viewport that is changing the colors.  I also checked this issue with 2013 on a different computer and it did the same thing (messing up the colors) so I know it isn't just my machine.  It is something 2013 is doing (and the latest service pack did nothing to solve the issue.)  You can see the correct colors in model space right when you open the drawing.  Then when you go to the tab "A-2" you'll see the viewport with the 2D configuration and Medium Detail representation that changes the wall colors to blue.

Let me know if you find anything!  Thanks!

Dave

Message 9 of 14
David_W_Koch

A sample file would be helpful.

Do you assign different layers to some Wall Components?  Are you doing this directly in the Wall Display Representation, or are you controlling the display of Wall Components with Material Definitions?

Shrink Wrap should overwrite the graphics of any component(s) that fall below it.  But if you are assigning dffierent colors to adjacent components, there may be issues regarding which gets drawn last.  It appears that components are drawn from interior to exterior, so that the most exterior component will display both sides (if Shrink Wrap is off), and the others just one side.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 10 of 14
STFD-Dave
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Hey David,

I attached the requested dwg file in a reply just before yours came through.  I am not using any material definitions.  Everything is set in the wall style display properties (as you will see when you start hunting through the file).  I agree with you that the shrink wrap SHOULD be overwriting anything below it which is why I can't figure out why the magenta shrink wrap for the stud walls and the pen 33 shrink wrap for the CMU and Concrete walls is getting turned to blue.  I even went into the viewport, selected one of the walls (that looks blue) and clicked on the DISPLAY tab on the Properties Palette.  I checked the shrink wrap component and it said and showed MAGENTA.  So I'm looking at the object that is blue and the properties palette is telling me it is magenta.  UGH! 🙂

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

In a quick test I copied the contents of the file you sent to a new OOTB template and they are working correctly.....just a quick observation. More to come.......

Message 12 of 14
STFD-Dave

Thanks Lance!  I just tried the same thing and found the same result.  That, to me, would suggest there is some issue with my template.  I still don't understand why it would have worked fine in 2012 and now doesn't work for some reason in 2013.  Hmmm.  I guess I may just have to build my template from scratch in 2013 and make all new tabs and viewports. Wow, that's a lot of work.  Wish there was a different way.  Well, thanks for the help.  Let me know if you find anything else that could save me a bunch of "do-over" work! Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

I opened your drawing via RECOVER and it found 39 errors. I also noticed many Audit layers that would suggest some type of corruption in the file.

Try taking your template and insert it into an open 2013 template file. This should insert all your layers and other objects into the new file. Then explode it.

I inserted your file like this into an open 2013 file via INSERT and after exploding the drawing it seems to work fine.

This is probably easier than recreating all new template files.

Message 14 of 14
STFD-Dave

Well, it sounds like my template file is the culprit.  I have to admit that it is a very old template that I have just updated with new wall styles and other content as the software updates.  I'll try your suggestion and hope that makes things easier with the transition.  I think starting with a fresh 2013 template as the main background will be the way to go.  I'll just have to set up new tabs and some new viewports (not a huge deal).

Again, my sincere appreciation for your efforts in this!

Take care,

Dave

(in sunny 85 degree Sarasota, FL)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost