AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 crash on start

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
calfcreek_2
1707 Views, 8 Replies

2014 crash on start

This crashing of ACA 2014 on start-up is getting old.

A few times we thought we had it fixed only to have it return with a vengeance.

Any fixes in the mix?

Seems to crash after loading Project Navigator files. Error log attached.

Keith D. Rodebush

RA

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: calfcreek_2

What 'fix' did you try?
Windows version?
Message 3 of 9
calfcreek_2
in reply to: pendean

Windows 7 Pro

Dell x64 (not at work; can't remember model)

2014 BDS Premium SP1 for ACA

Stand-Alone install with some customization on Server, i.e. CUI's, Patterns, LISP etc.

I tried the hardware acceleration turn-off. Actually, installed older ACAD certified driver for the NVIDIA Fx4600

Tried the .NET framework uninstall and reinstall.

I am an administrator on the machine.

Virus software disabled during installation (AVAST); have since uninstalled AVAST and installed AVG?

Also ran a repair install. Couldn't do it from the machine; got an error that the mapped drive was not found. I had a thumb drive with the software on it and was able to run a repair from there.

3 machines in office have experienced same shutdown. SP1 seemed to help one machine. Hardware acceleration the other. I'm third man out.

Thanks for your input.

Keith D. Rodebush

RA

Message 4 of 9
calfcreek_2

Dell Precision T7400

Intel Xeon 3.2 GHz

4 GB memory

64 bit

Message 5 of 9
John.W.Mumaw

I'm afraid that I'm not using 14 so I can't comment on anything unique to that version.  But in my experience running Autocad in a 64 bit environment with 4 GB of memory is marginal.  My dell precision is using that just running windows, a browser and my email program.  Starting Autocad and opening a small (1 Mb) drawing bumps it up to 5+ GB.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design
Message 6 of 9
calfcreek_2

UPDATE:

We had our profiles set to have Project Browser open at start-up. This was to remind all techs that we always open drawings through Project Navigator.

I have unchecked that feature and on three computers we have multiple successful loads without crashing. (fingers crossed)

Accessing Project Browser from the toolbar has thus far NOT caused a similar crash.

Not sure why this would be an issue but for about 10-15 program start-ups we have not had a crash.

Keith D. Rodebush

RA

Message 7 of 9
calfcreek_2

Well well...you are back Moriarty! Today, ACA 2014 decided to start crashing again. This time when accessing Project Browser from the tool bar. Thus far the sequence is that after start up, one session of Project Browser is allowed. Upon accessing PB for the second time the program crashes.

Keith D. Rodebush

RA

Message 8 of 9
calfcreek_2

To Whom It May Concern,

I restored my computer to a previous known restore point. The only thing that had happened in between were several Windows Updates published on 7/8/14. Many of these were related to permissions and promoting or demoting permissions based on several issues. After my restore, I 'hid' all of these Updates so they wouldn't automatically re-install. (I checked and none were pertinent to our network system in terms of vulnerability)

I have worked all day without issue. I'll check back if there is any new information. Hope this is helpful to someone.

Regards,

Keith D. Rodebush

RA

Message 9 of 9
calfcreek_2

This issue has returned. Several Windows updates have been loaded recently. I am trying to pinpoint the culprit. Will post if I find it. Sigh!!!

Keith D. Rodebush

RA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost