AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space Schedule Woes

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
BBP-Arch
419 Views, 4 Replies

Space Schedule Woes

ACA2016

Ok, my little brain is not getting something, and I know I've posted questions about this before, but I'm attaching my drawing which will hopefully assist. I did something this morning that worked great, gave me my result, but I can't repeat it...help!

My goal: Create a schedule of the area tabulation for an entire floor, with 2 columns: Net footage & Gross footage.

Method: I've created a schedule that uses the Property Set Definitions of Space Objects; Net & Gross.  I clicked on the space this morning and set the Offset Boundaries to Manual. Making sure that NET was the only boundary active, I began to change the Net boundary w/ the grips. While doing so, I somehow saw 'Interference Condition' and I don't remember whether it was in a right-click menu or on the ribbon (not that this matters, I think), but I clicked it, and then selected the Corridor space and saw the Boundary hatch remove itself in the Corridor. The schedule had a line through it so I updated it. To my utter amazement, the Net footage had subtracted the interference condition. PERFECT!

I then copied the schedule & spaces to my 1st floor drawing. I manipulated the grips of the space to fit the first floor. I created a new schedule (since I copied the one that worked into this drawing, I figured the PSD's would be there. I checked and they were. I tried to subtract the interference condition in this drawing and it doesn't work.  I made sure the space was set to Manual and that only the Net grip was active.  Confused about this I went back to my original drawing and tried to create another interference condition to make sure it works. It no longer works. When I add an interference condition, the schedule doesn't update correctly.

I've attached the original Mezzanine drawing for review.

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Scott

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: BBP-Arch

I am not certain what you did the first time, when it worked, but in my experimentation, I was not able to get an Interference Condition to change the value of any of the reported areas for a Space.  The LineworkSubtract command was able to do so, for the boundary type(s) editable at the time the command was used.

This Screencast, done in AutoCAD Architecture 2016, shows that adding an Interference Condition to a non-associative Space whose Offset boundary property has been set to manual will not affect the areas reported, even though graphically it shows the hatch being removed and draws the boundary of the Interference Condition with the same linework as the outer boundary of the Space.

Using the Linework Subtract command does remove the subtracted area from any boundaries which are currently editable, and creates a grip-editable boundary around the subtracted area.  In the Screencast, only the Net boundary is editable, so only the NetArea is reduced by the subtraction.  Note also that the polyline used for the subtraction can be erased or moved away from the Space, and the subtraction will remain (not shown in the Screencast).  If you erase the source of the Interference Condition, the interference will be removed.

You can read more about the Linework Subtract command in the on-line Help, or in this blog article.

Okay, the Screencast embedment feature seems to be a little wonky tonight.  I will try to post the Screencast later; for now, you should be able to use this link to get to the Screencast: http://autode.sk/2foPfq0.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: David_W_Koch

And as soon as I hit the post button on the previous post, the wonkiness went away.  🙂  Here is the referenced Screencast, embedded into this reply.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 5
BBP-Arch
in reply to: David_W_Koch

FINALLY!!!!! YES!

Thanks David! You've done it again! I actually combined the two whereby after I subtracted the AEC Linework, I then made interference conditions so that at least graphically it looks right.

BTW, Hey Autodesk!!!! Update your Interference Conditions...they're only partially usable if they don't schedule, otherwise, what's the point?!

Scott

Message 5 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: BBP-Arch

UPDATE:

The LineworkSubtract command will "remove" a Hatch Component if the associated boundary is editable.  In the example in the Screencast, the Base Hatch component was shown, but only the Net Boundary was editable, so the Base Hatch was not affected.  Had the Net Hatch component been visible, it would have been interrupted at the area that was subtracted.

Also note that an Interference Condition, when viewed in "3D" (such as one of the standard isometric views), only cuts the Floor (Floor Thickness), whereas a LineworkSubtract will remove the selected area (if the Rectangle option is used, or a Polyline is selected) from the Space, bottom to top, including Height below floor and Height above ceiling.  It may be that having an Interference Condition not affect the reported areas is "as designed".  Someone familiar with the internal development process of ACA would have to comment on that.

2016-11-26_Space_LineworkSubtract-vs-InterferenceCondition_3D.png

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost