Did you mean: 

Zoom to Oject Problem (Possible Bug)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Paulc.Metcalf
3057 Views, 4 Replies

Zoom to Oject Problem (Possible Bug)

Hi

I'm having a problem getting Zoom to Objects working correctly within some drawings.

I have some drawings of Site Layouts that are to scale and positioned within CAD using correct world coordinates, provided by a civils partner. Because of this the Site Layout is shown usually miles from 0,0,0. But 1 of the drawings we need to produce requires putting Rectangles in Model and zooming in to these to blow up the view of certain parts of the site. But for whatever reason Zoom To Object doesn't correctly align with the object (Centre) and doesn't zoom in all the way within the Viewport.

I've done some testing and found that if the object is close to 0,0,0 it works as I'd expect, zooming right into the object and centred. But if the Object is a long way from 0,0,0 it doesn't.

I've attached 2 dwg's, 1 close to 0,0,0 and working & 1 miles from 0,0,0 and not. Is there a setting I can change or am I missing something? Or is this a known bug?

I've tested this in AutoCAD 2010, 2013 & 2014. All appear to behave the same way.

Any Help is greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: Paulc.Metcalf

Any reason you don't want to use VIEW command instead? since it's a requirement you be exactly at a specific spot and all that. Just a thought, some tools are better for certain tasks that others.
Message 3 of 5
Paulc.Metcalf
in reply to: pendean

The entire site needs to be located at a specific location, but the zoomed in views can be located anywhere all over the site.

The only problem with VIEW is that the drawings isn't just 1 View, there lots of different parts of the site broken down into Zoomed in sections, as well as other information which is detailed else where in Model. And if we have to start modifing views it can become an hassle keeping all the views organised in the Manager, as there can be anything from a dozen all the way to a hundred+ viewports depending on the site.

To me it's just a lot simpler and quicker to use Zoom to Object (if it was working) to create the different viewports of the same site that uses information already within the drawing, than create individual VIEWS for each.

The fact the tool seems to work fine when close to the origin point, but not when farther away, tells me that something isn't quite right with the tool.

Message 4 of 5
pendean

Since it doesn't work in R2010 through R2015 as you tested I'm suggesting another tool might be worthy of exaimination while you wait a few more AutoCAD versions for it to get fixed.

Enjoy your weekend.
Message 5 of 5
jwhalen

I have been having this same issue for a long time, and it has been bugging me a lot. I have AutoCAD 2015, and just recently I have found a possible solution by following these steps:

1. Create your viewport in Paper Space.
  2. Trace your viewport with a set of lines or a Polyline.
  3. Copy the tracing to your clipboard (Ctrl + C).
  4. Paste the tracing to Model Space. Move the tracing where ever you would like your view port to focus on.
  5. Go to Paper Space. Double click inside your viewport to "activate" it. 
  6. Zoom Object on to the tracing. This will not zoom properly, but that's okay.
  7. "Deactivate" your viewport by entering Paper Space.
  8. Delete the viewport.
  9. Recreate the viewport with all the same dimensions as Step 1.
  10. "Activate" the viewport.
  11. Zoom Object on the tracing again. It should zoom properly.

I have noticed that this "fixes" all viewports that already exist within my Paper Space Layouts. But with every new viewport I create, I have to go through the entire process again. So it seems wiser to first find all the regions in your drawing that you want to "highlight". Create your viewports (these will not zoom correctly) then follow the above process with the last created viewport. All previously created viewports should be "fixed" now. 

Good Luck, and I hope this helped. If not, just steer you in the right direction.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost