8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
pwk
Advocate
13771 Views, 8 Replies

Zoom extents shows much more than my drawing extents

Hi,

I am using AutoCAD 2014 (AutoCAD Electrical to be exact).  I have a drawing in which, when I choose "Zoom Extents", rather than zooming so that my drawing contents fills the screen area, it zooms way out so that my drawing contents are tiny.  When I do this, my drawing contents are displayed (very small) at the top of the window, and I see some stray marks towards the bottom of the screen.  I think these stray marks are causing my problem - zoom extents seems to be including these in my "extents".  The strange thing is, even though I have all layers thawed, I cannot select and/or delete these stray marks.  If I try to zoom in on the stray marks, they are no longer there after I zoom.

If anyone can tell me how I can get around this issue, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: pwk

They may be parts of objects inside your file: try to WBLOCK only what you want to keep using a window (not crossing) selection and see if they go away in that newly created file.
Message 3 of 9
M_Hensley

Use erase command and type ALL for selection then R for remove and window around what you want to keep.

Message 4 of 9
pwk
Advocate
in reply to: M_Hensley

Thank you pendean and M_Hensley.  Both of your suggestions worked!

I marked M_Hensley's suggestion as the solution only because it saves the step of having to create a new drawing.

Best regards,
Paul

Message 5 of 9
hencoop

I used your method but modified to select all from the Properties dialog and then remove what I wanted with a window.  This left only Paper Space objects in my selection.  There were no other objects in Model Space.   I then used your method to delete the objects causing the incorrect extents.  I have 8 Profile Views with 8 profiles in Model Space near my plan elements which are at NC State Plane coordinates (E 2,157,000, N 940,000 ±).  These were deleted even though I clearly windowed them to remove them from the selection set.  Zoom extents worked fine with them erased but while they remain my WCS origin (0,0,0) is included in my zoom extents.

Is this a bug or is there a way to prevent Profile Views/Profiles from causung this behavior?

AutoCAD User since 1989. Civil Engineering Professional since 1983
Product Ver.: 13.6.1781.0 Civil 3D 2024.3 Update
Built On:        U.152.0.0 AutoCAD 2024.1.2
                        27.0.37.14 Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2024.0.1
                        8.6.52.0 AutoCAD Architecture 2024
Message 6 of 9
Peverett

I updated from Autocad LT 2013 to 2015 and encountered this problem immediately.

Only tiny dots all in the centre of the screen woudl appear.

I tried the suggested "Erase all" approach, after deselected desired area, but that made no change.
By zooming in, over and over, I got to my drawing. 

The problem was in the POINT size.  The points were enormous.  Once I shrunk FORMAT | POINT STYLE down to a tiny size (3/32" relative to screen size), things started to work out as expected. 

Message 7 of 9

Don't forget to unfreeze all layers including layers with current viewport frozen, even in paperspace. Had an object outside the page setup area with it's layer frozen that way. Also select all and see if any blocks have annotations sizes extending past the page setup area.

Message 8 of 9
bennerebe

I'd like to give this solution 10 kudos!  Been looking for this answer for years, seriously, thank you!!

Message 9 of 9
MaryWeber6092

Yeah! That worked

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost