Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z value problem

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
sports7
411 Views, 8 Replies

Z value problem

When I idea a point it gives me x = 409'6", y = 1078'-0", z = 1.30783619E+03. Does anyone know how to fix this problem. It is not on all the points just a few. Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ampster401
in reply to: sports7

make sure you have Express tools loaded and the command you are interested in is "flatten"

Message 3 of 9
dbroad

If you are speaking of the scientific format vs the architectural format and are willing to use a small snap setting, you can probably avoid it.  Otherwise, probably not.  It will happen from time to time.  You could rewrite the ID command with LISP or VBA to report better.  Send a complaint to Autodesk if it bothers you that much.

If you mean a non-zero Z value, then I agree that flatten should help.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 4 of 9
sports7
in reply to: dbroad

Its a 3d model using CadWorx, so flatten is not an option.
Message 5 of 9
Kent1Cooper

@sports7 wrote:
When I idea a point it gives me x = 409'6", y = 1078'-0", z = 1.30783619E+03. Does anyone know how to fix this problem. ...

What is the "problem" that you want to "fix"?  Is it that the Point has a non-zero Z coordinate [the Flatten suggestion is about making that zero], or that ID reports one of the coordinates in scientific notation rather than in feet and inches, or something else?

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 6 of 9
ampster401

if you just want that single point to equal z = 0, then have the Properties window open, select the point and then manually enter a value of 0 for the z position

You can mass-change the z position value by selecting everything you want to change the z postion, then enter 0 in the Properties window.

HTH

Message 7 of 9
sports7
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

I want the Z value in feet and inches like the x & y.
Message 8 of 9
ampster401

I want to say the way it is displayed is what you are limited to.  Might have something to do with the extremely large distance when it displays like that.

Maybe somebody else knows a way to fix that.

Message 9 of 9
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: ampster401

@ampster401 wrote:

I want to say the way it is displayed is what you are limited to.  Might have something to do with the extremely large distance when it displays like that.

That's not such a very large distance in this case -- 1.307-ish times 10 to the 3rd = 1307 or so, or almost 109 feet, which is a smaller value than either the X or Y coordinates.  I think the scientific-notation display is just what sometimes happens with not-on-a-"clean"-value numbers.  If the Point were drawn with snap turned on, it probably would not be that way, but it can also become that way if it's moved [whether by a Move command, or Rotate, or Scale, or probably some other things], depending on the details of how it was changed.  I don't know of any way to prevent it, but I wouldn't claim that there isn't one.

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost