Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XREFS

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
JEFFW3D
204 Views, 5 Replies

XREFS

Can AutoCAD generate a list of all files to which an xref is attached? Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
3wood
in reply to: JEFFW3D

Not with AutoCAD, but with Reference Manager (Start -> All programs ->Autodesk -> AutoCAD 2014 (English) ->Reference Manager).

If drawings are in different folders, you have to add them from each folders repeatly.

Then sort by File name, and look at "Host Drawing". You can also export it as a report.

Ref Manager.PNG

Message 3 of 6
JEFFW3D
in reply to: 3wood

Thanks very much for your response. I might not have worded my question very well. It seems that Reference Manager locates and identifies all the files referenced within a single "host drawing" file. I am looking for the opposite; a way to identify all the host drawings in which a single xref appears. 

Message 4 of 6
dgorsman

The linking is top-down only ie. child XREFs are not modified to indicate where they are used.  To do so would require either the ability to modify the XREF (not always possible, as it may be open or on a read-only drive) or work with some kind of custom external data storage.

Edit: its also possible to loop through drawings using ObjectDBX (LISP/VBA), side database (managed dotNET/unmanaged ObjectARX), or RealDWG.  But you still need to identify which DWG files to check.  There could be additional drawings using the specified XREF outside of that list.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 6
JEFFW3D
in reply to: dgorsman

Right, unfortunately. Seems like a useful tool for someone to be working on. Thanks.

Message 6 of 6
3wood

@JEFFW3D wrote:

Thanks very much for your response. I might not have worded my question very well. It seems that Reference Manager locates and identifies all the files referenced within a single "host drawing" file. I am looking for the opposite; a way to identify all the host drawings in which a single xref appears. 

I understood your question, that's why I posted a image to illustrade my solution.

Did you noticed I circled "Host drawing" in red? Please spend a few minutes and follow my steps strictly and you will find the only problem is Reference Manager doesn't provide a option to select all drawings under a folder and its subfolder.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost