20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
CADEngr2014
60960 Views, 20 Replies

XREFS SCALING

Hello,

I am using AutoCAD 2014.

Just recently my xrefs have been scaling by a factor of 12.  What setting controls if an xref scales?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
GrantsPirate
in reply to: CADEngr2014

Look up INSUNITS in help or the SYSVDLG.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 3 of 21
acadhelp1
in reply to: GrantsPirate

INSUNITS specifies a drawing-units value for automatic scaling of blocks, images, or xrefs when inserted or attached to a drawing.  If the INSUNITS values are different between the host drawing and the xref, AutoCAD scales the incoming xref to match the current scale. 

I'm guessing that the drawing you are xrefing is in feet and your drawing is in inches.

Here is the help link for INSUNITS.

http://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/AutoCAD-Core/files/GUID-A58A87BB-482B-4042-A00A-EEF55A2B...

Jon

Jon Page

AutoCAD Interaction Designer

Autodesk, Inc.

Jon Page

AutoCAD Design Manager
Message 4 of 21
jest2525
in reply to: acadhelp1

Curious.  Why would an xref be brought into a drawing at any scale other than a scale of 1?  For years (decades) I've never had a need to scale an xref.

Message 5 of 21
GrantsPirate
in reply to: jest2525

In the US architectural drawings are done in inches, civil is done in feet.  Very common to bring the arch drawing in to the civil drawing and scale the arch drawing so it is at the correct size.

GrantsPirate
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 6 of 21
jest2525

I know that one... but I rarely, if ever, xref Civil into Arch because of the considerable superfluous info within the Civil xrefs.  Usually, all I need Architecturally are the property, curb, and street lines.  Everything else in unimportant in the conveyance of the Architectural info.  (I suppose Civil would say the same about Architectural).

However, I generally develop the site plan Architecturally to which Civil xrefs my site plan to generate their Civil xref.  So the Architecural/Civil correlation is clearly understood.

Would there be ANY other reasons to scale an xref?

Message 7 of 21
CADEngr2014

Jest2525,

It is not my interest to scale the xref, that was my original problem.  However, when the INSUNITS variable is set to 0, instead of 2 (feet), the xref's automatically scale 12x, even though scale factors are set to 1 in the xref dialog.

Message 8 of 21
acadhelp1

Differences in units, is the only reason that I have ever encountered.  

Jon Page

AutoCAD Design Manager
Message 9 of 21
GrantsPirate

jest2525 - If you knew that one then why did you ask?  Just because you don't do things a certain way doesn't mean lots of other people aren't needing that functionality.

GrantsPirate
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER

Message 10 of 21
jest2525

Calm down dude.  Why you so angry?  Not a reaction I'd expect from an "Expert Elite".

To answer your question... why does anybody ask?  To learn... even at my ripe old age.  I never once said "Do it my way as it is the only way!"  I'm just curious what other needs may be.  Is that ok?

Jeez!

Message 11 of 21
GrantsPirate

There is no way you can assume any emotion from the words in my response, (hint: there wasn't any) just a simple statement of fact and truly interested in why you asked a question you knew the answer to.

GrantsPirate
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER

Message 12 of 21
CADEngr2014

Jon,

Thanks for that thought;  The only thing that has changed since this started to occur, is my coordinate units were changed from US Survey Feet to International Feet, the coordinate remained the same.  I do not imagine that should cause this type of problem, but it is a difference of units, as you mentioned.

Message 13 of 21
jest2525

I'm not arrogant enough to assume there is only one answer.  That's why the question was asked.

And yes, words and the assemblage of them into a statement can evoke emotion (even if you said there was none).  That's what I read... but then that's just me.

Thanks for your insight though. Smiley Happy 

Message 14 of 21
acadhelp1

Since you changed the units on the location units of one of the drawings, it would scale if you used the option "Locate using Geographic Data".  That could also have scaled the xref.

I don't think there is a problem asking why even when you know the answer.  My answer might differ from your answer.  It helps others searching for similar questions, but not posting.

Hope this helps,

Jon

Jon Page

AutoCAD Design Manager
Message 15 of 21
drjohn

@jest2525 wrote:

Calm down dude.  Why you so angry?  Not a reaction I'd expect from an "Expert Elite".

To answer your question... why does anybody ask?  To learn... even at my ripe old age.  I never once said "Do it my way as it is the only way!"  I'm just curious what other needs may be.  Is that ok?

Jeez!

Careful here ... your burning a very valuable resource.

Assume no emotion unless it is delivered (eg: Smiley Mad or Heart  or Smiley Frustrated ) visually.

If you want to see condescending, read a few of pendean's posts and then read GrantsPirate's posts.  Notice the difference.

Just  FYI  Smiley Happy

Regards,

DJ

Message 16 of 21
jest2525
in reply to: drjohn

I've been known to be a valuable resourse too.  I worked for what today is considered the largest engineering company in the world for almost 2 decades.  Though I left them almost 9 years ago, they still call me when they have CAD issues.  So you see, I do know a bit about what I do... and am still willing to learn by asking seemingly dumb questions.

All in all though, banter is good if it teaches someone something.  Right?

Message 17 of 21
CADEngr2014

JonPage,

We are using unitless drawing files, and setting INSUNITS=2 seems to be the only setting that resloves the scaling issue.  In our Drawing Units dialog, we have Type set to Decimal, Insertion Scale set to "Unitless" which has always been the case as far as I remember.  However, since we are using "unitless" insertion scale units, why shouldn't we be using INSUNITS=0?

Message 18 of 21
CADEngr2014

JonPage,

Ok, I found the problem.  We are set-up to use unitless files and INSUNITS=0.  However, in one of my refeence files, I found the units were set to feet.  So the system will scale the referenced file by a factor of 12 to bring it into a file that is set to unitless.  Not usre if there is a way to cause a files units to change to feet from unitless, without explicitly toggling the change?

Message 19 of 21
acadhelp1

Jon Page

AutoCAD Design Manager
Message 20 of 21
acadhelp1

Well I guess I need to stop using IE for this forum... previewed and all text disappeared.  Smiley Frustrated

@CADEngr2014 

I'm assuming you are running plain AutoCAD.  There are three places that you can change the INSUNITS of the drawing.

INSUNITS sysvar at command line

Drawing Units dialog - UNITS command

Geographic Location dialog - GEOGRAPHICLOCATION command

Other versions of AutoCAD like AutoCAD Architecture have additional ways to specify units.

Jon Page

AutoCAD Design Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost