Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XLG file 5 times bigger than DWG file - ?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
annw2
243 Views, 1 Reply

XLG file 5 times bigger than DWG file - ?

I was asked to send a CAD file to a subcontractor.

Being taught back in R12 that XREFCTL = 1 would create a file that kept track of the layer states in the XREF's files, I included the xlg file in the e-mail.  The e-mail promptly crashed with the attachment too big to include.

I burned a CD, then noted that the CAD file was 3 meg and the xlg file was 15 meg.

I opened the xlg in Notepad.  It seemed to include every layer state change since the project was started in 2008.

Why would the xlg file contain anything other than the latest layer state or the last X layer states?

The help function says only that you can delete it.  That is not that helpful.

Any chance of another value in XREFCTL or another flag that will automatically trim the size of these files?

Ann Wingert, P.E.
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Shawn_Niles
in reply to: annw2

If the XLG file has existed for a long time, then it might make sene that it is very large. The help file states:  "Once a log file has been created for a drawing, the program continues to append information to it.". So the file does continue to grow. The option of deleting is noted for times when the file gets to big and you want to start fresh. If you still want the information, you could rename the file so that you still have it, then start over with a new file for information going forward. 

Shawn Niles

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost