AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Contributor
carabalda
Message 1 of 15 (666 Views)
Accepted Solution

Wrong date on DWG to PDF files

666 Views, 14 Replies
04-18-2013 01:07 PM

I've recently begun using the "DWG to PDF.pc3" plotter/printer for making PDF files of my AutoCAD 2013 drawings because it's quite a lot faster than using the "Adobe PDF" plotter/printer that I have been using up to now.

But today I noticed something very odd: After I create a PDF file using the "DWG to PDF.pc3" plotter/printer, when I go into Windows Explorer (the file manager) and click on a file to select it, the file shows the "Date Created" and "Date Modified" as being "11/27/2007 9:11 AM" even though the file was actually created today, 4/18/2013 at 3:01 PM. If I right-click the file and select Properties, the General tab shows this incorrect date and time for the Created and Modified data, as well as the Accessed data, which you can see in screen capture 1 attached.

Before you ask the obvious: yes, my computer's date and time ARE set correctly. This is as if AutoCAD has some sort of "internal" clock that's set to the wrong time, the wrong dthe wrong year, and is assigning that wrong information to the finished PDF file... very weird. 

And then opening the file in Acrobat itself, when I click on the File menu and then on Properties, the Document Properties window appears and shows the data contained within the file: and it is the CORRECT Created and Modified date & time! You can see this in screen capture 2, also attached.

So it seems as if the "DWG to PDF.pc3" printer/plotter is creating the file correctly, and placing the correct Date and Time data inside the file for Acrobat's use, but is coming up with this bizarre time on a date over 5 years in the past as the data that Windows "sees" in the file's Properties.

I'm simply baffled by this. It wouldn't bother me so much except for the fact that we make many corrections and updates to files without changing or "dating" the file name, and my boss frequently asks me to sort the files within a folder by the Date Modified, so we can find the latest revision... the problem is the dates that I'm getting now are all wrong, all in the past. It's BIZARRE.

Any suggestion aout how to fix this? I'm about to go mad... ;-)

Well, I have a resolution for the work laptop: I was able to log into the Linksys NAS (Network Attached Server) device at work. And when there, I discovered that the server itself had a system date of 12/11/2007 and time of 3-something AM. The server had been set up to get its time automatically from the default Network Time Protocol (NTP) server at ntp.jst.mfeed.ad.jp (a Japanese website). But that NTP site was apparently not sending the servr the correct date & time. So I changed the server setup to have date and time set manually, and used my own laptop's current date and time as those the server should copy. Now when I update a DWG file or make a PDF using the DWG-to-PDF driver, the modification date visible on the file (or seen inside Acrobat) are correct. Yeah!

This does not, however, explain the test I performed earlier, on my computer at home, which is not connected to any NAS server device and where AutoCAD 2014 creates all its files locally on the C:\ drive. The computer's date and time are correct, but as noted in the attached screen captures of that previous message, the file dates used are August & Spetember of 2012. This remains a mystery to me. But I'm not going to worry about it, as I rarely use AutoCAD at home.

Thanks for the suggestions, especially for making me look more closely into the settings of the NAS server device, which was the correct way to go.

Valued Mentor
sthompson1021
Message 2 of 15 (647 Views)

Re: Wrong date on DWG to PDF files

04-18-2013 01:27 PM in reply to: carabalda

If you look at the properties of the dwg, does the date the drawing was created match what you are seeing in the adobe file? 

*Expert Elite*
GrantsPirate
Message 3 of 15 (643 Views)

04-18-2013 01:27 PM in reply to: carabalda

2014 here - the pdf I just created with the built-in driver is showing the correct date and time.  I will open 2013 in a bit and try that next.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
Contributor
carabalda
Message 4 of 15 (638 Views)

04-18-2013 01:34 PM in reply to: sthompson1021
(I am suddenly locked out of my subscription account, on top of everything
else)

No. the date and time on the DWG file is correct. But interestingly the
dates and times on the DWL and DWL2 "lock" files that get created when a
file is open have the WRONG dates and times: 11/27/2007 at 9:10 am (as of
this moment).

Utterly bizarre.
Contributor
carabalda
Message 5 of 15 (632 Views)

04-18-2013 01:45 PM in reply to: GrantsPirate

I had my boss try the "DWG to PDF.pc3" printer on her laptop, which has AutoCADLT 2011 on it... same problem: the output PDF file shows a date of 11/27/2007 in Windows Explorer while the date found inside Acrobat's File>Properties window shows the correct date, today.

Coupled with the fact that both the DWL and DWL2 files that were creted when the DWG was opened reinforces my belief that there is some sort of "internal" AutoCAD clock that is seriously out of whack.

Valued Mentor
sthompson1021
Message 6 of 15 (629 Views)

04-18-2013 01:47 PM in reply to: carabalda

If you set the plot stamp on and plot to PDF, do you get the right date on the plot stamp?

Contributor
carabalda
Message 7 of 15 (623 Views)

04-18-2013 01:57 PM in reply to: sthompson1021

Yes. Turning "Plot Stamp On" prints the correct date and time at the bottom of the output PDF page. But the file that's created still has the incorrect date on it. The time seems to be moving forward, however. The most-recently-created PDF (with the Plot Stamp included) shows "11/27/2007 at 11:03 AM" in Windows Explorer. So the time is advancing... it's just set to the WRONG time... somwehere.

*Expert Elite*
GrantsPirate
Message 8 of 15 (605 Views)

04-18-2013 02:46 PM in reply to: carabalda

I tried with 2013 and the pdf file using windows properties shows the correct date and time.

Are you plotting to a compressed drive or to a server location?  What server software are you using?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
Contributor
carabalda
Message 9 of 15 (594 Views)

04-18-2013 04:30 PM in reply to: GrantsPirate
Yes, I am plotting to a mapped network drive. The file server is mapped to
"Drive Z" via Windows Explorer. There is no "server software" other than
native Windows Networking. I connect via a wire to a router, which is
attached to the server drive. Thus we are both on the same Network.

Subscription to Topic: Wrong date on DWG to PDF files (1 Update)
There was a new Reply.
Subject: Re: Wrong date on DWG to PDF files

Author: GrantsPirate (*Expert Elite*)
Date: 04-18-2013 05:46 PM
I tried with 2013 and the pdf file using windows properties shows the
correct date and time.

Are you plotting to a compressed drive or to a server location? What server
software are you using?
Product Support
Shawn_Niles
Message 10 of 15 (550 Views)

04-23-2013 01:26 PM in reply to: carabalda

Could you try installing the free CutePDF driver at www.cutepdf.com? I've tried this on my end with all PDF drivers I have but can't recreate the problem. My DWL files always have the current date and time as well. I'm curious if this will only happen for you with the DWG to PDF driver.

Shawn Niles
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.