Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD - working with a second screen

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
falconbird
3531 Views, 9 Replies

AutoCAD - working with a second screen

Started to use two screens. like it. Like to keep my sheet set manager and property dialog boxes on the second screen. The problem is every time I open a new session I have to move the dialog boxes to the second screen. Is there a way to keep the dialog box on the second screen when I open my Acad?

[ The subject line of this post has been edited to include the product name by @handjonathan ]

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pendean
in reply to: falconbird

Are you manually saving wyour workspace? If yes, then those items may need to be on your "primary" monitor: often your video card drivers let you re-assign that.
Message 3 of 10
nrz13

This has been a problem with AutoCAD for ages; I've reported it to them for years.  Dialog boxes will not remember their size and position unless they are located on the primary monitor (as assigned by Windows).

Possible workaround:
Make your second monitor the primary one (your taskbar would be on this monitor) and continue to use AutoCAD on the other monitor.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 4 of 10
steve216586
in reply to: nrz13

"Make your second monitor the primary one (your taskbar would be on this monitor) and continue to use AutoCAD on the other monitor."

For years I've been working this way without complaint. To me it is best anyway since you can keep your drawing open while working in other apps such as email, another CAD program or Excel. It really doesn't make a difference what side of the workstation the primary screen physically resides.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 5 of 10
nrz13
in reply to: steve216586

Another thing about the taskbar:  after you've re-assigned the primary monitor, you can move it to whatever monitor you want.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 6 of 10
falconbird
in reply to: pendean

don't follow.

I have my Acad open on my secondry screen and my dialog boxes (properties and sheet set) on my primary screen. Do you mean reverse them? 

Message 7 of 10
nrz13

Does Windows agree with you on what your primary and secondary monitors are?  Right-click on your Desktop → select "Screen resolution".  You should see two monitors at the top.  Click on them and see which one Windows says is "currently your main display" (primary).

There are more advanced options for setting up your monitors within your graphic card software as well, but those instructions vary per graphics manufacturer.

If your computer and you agree on which is your primary/main display, then I don't know of anything else that would help.  I don't think I've ever seen AutoCAD forgetting window sizes and locations on the primary monitor.

Message 8 of 10
angelawhyborn

Did you find a resolution to this issue?  I am experiencing the same problem but worse is my pop up, when I want to make an edit, appear between my screens and I can't see the whole of the pop up or select from it properly. Even if I reduce LT to half a screen, I still can't get the pop up to appear on one screen or the other because I can't grab it with my curser. Very frustrating. The same happens with the command bar. I've taken a photo to show what happens.   WhatsApp Image 2022-10-13 at 12.02.52 PM.jpeg

Message 9 of 10
pendean
in reply to: angelawhyborn

@angelawhyborn You have two different screen resolutions, is that correct?

Are you not able to drag that pop-up over to one of the screens?
Are you just fighting your own LOCKUI setting then?

After moving it successfully nd closing it, the new location is always remembered or most of us. Or are you in a restricted WindowsOS login or have a corrupt Windows Registry file that the new location is never registered?
Message 10 of 10
leeminardi

Be sure to place the cursor in the area of the pop-up that contains its label when you go to move it. You cannot just click anywhere in the dialog box to move it. This should work whether or not the two screens have different resolutions.  As @pendean  states, the location of the pop up will be remembered the next time you open it.

lee.minardi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost