AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 1 of 8 (807 Views)
Accepted Solution

Why Express Tools not a core part of Autocad?

807 Views, 7 Replies
05-18-2012 11:55 AM

Now and then, you read that people can't use express tools commands because they forgot to click on install express tool, what is the reason that you have to click on it and Fusion is a part of autocad?

nestly wrote:

It's pretty stupid to include them on the original Installation media yet claim they're not part of what you're paying for.

I don't disagree with that, but I think the reason they have remained unsupported is that those started out as mostly lisp based "Bonus" tools, written by Adsk employees, but not necessarily integrated into core AutoCAD. So they do not get attention each release cycle, they don't get upgraded to work with new object types, etc. 

I kind of look at them like the "labs" projects. Use them, but don't gripe if it doens't quite work... and like Labs, some of them graduate into integrated commands.

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 2 of 8 (804 Views)

Re: Why Express Tools not a core part of Autocad?

05-18-2012 12:02 PM in reply to: Patchy

ET are unsupported?

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 3 of 8 (796 Views)

05-18-2012 12:15 PM in reply to: rkmcswain

Unsupported meaning? All of them has Autodesk copyright.

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 4 of 8 (791 Views)

05-18-2012 12:23 PM in reply to: Patchy

As in 'not supported'. My perception of this is --- If you have an Autodesk support contract and you have an issue with an express tool, they are not obligated to help, fix, repair, etc. 

Many of those routines have been merged into the core product over the last decade or so. 

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 5 of 8 (787 Views)

05-18-2012 12:26 PM in reply to: rkmcswain

Many of those routines have been merged into the core product over the last decade or so.

You're correct, now back to the question, if it was merged why not make it come with the box "Checked" the same as Fusion?

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 6 of 8 (783 Views)

05-18-2012 12:31 PM in reply to: Patchy

Those commands that have been merged into the core product do not need a "box checked".

They are part of AutoCAD, even if ET is not installed.

Things like LAYCUR, LAYWALK, OVERKILL, LAYMRG, CHSPACE, etc.

*Pro
nestly
Message 7 of 8 (779 Views)

05-18-2012 12:51 PM in reply to: rkmcswain

rkmcswain wrote:

As in 'not supported'. My perception of this is --- If you have an Autodesk support contract and you have an issue with an express tool, they are not obligated to help, fix, repair, etc. 

Well to be accurate,  Autodesk may be obligated to "help", but they clearly do not have an obligation to "fix" or "repair" even the core features.   

From what I've seen, there are far more people seeking help finding/installing ET's than those that actually need help with them.  IMO, the ET's as a whole have been sufficently vetted.  It's pretty stupid to include them on the original Installation media yet claim they're not part of what you're paying for.

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 8 of 8 (772 Views)

05-18-2012 01:14 PM in reply to: nestly

nestly wrote:

It's pretty stupid to include them on the original Installation media yet claim they're not part of what you're paying for.

I don't disagree with that, but I think the reason they have remained unsupported is that those started out as mostly lisp based "Bonus" tools, written by Adsk employees, but not necessarily integrated into core AutoCAD. So they do not get attention each release cycle, they don't get upgraded to work with new object types, etc. 

I kind of look at them like the "labs" projects. Use them, but don't gripe if it doens't quite work... and like Labs, some of them graduate into integrated commands.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.