AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Active Contributor
ghunt1981
Message 1 of 8 (676 Views)

Why does Autocad occasionally move a bunch of leaders to the same point?

676 Views, 7 Replies
02-06-2013 08:17 AM

OK, this has happened to me on more than one occasion and I never understood why.

I've noticed if I have a drawing with a bunch of leaders (quick leaders) in it with notes, sometimes (and I don't know if this is somehow related to the dimension style or not), there will be one spot in the drawing where autocad will decide to grab 5-6 leaders, and stretch all of their endpoints (the end that comes off the text, not the end with the arrowhead) to some random point.  So, some of the leaders will get stretched a few inches and some get stretched a hundred feet, depending on where this random point is. I don't even understand why the hell it does this. I've had it do something similar with dimensions before too, with no apparent reason.

Does this happen to anyone else or am I just being tortured?

Valued Contributor
Julesagainn
Message 2 of 8 (664 Views)

Re: Why does Autocad occasionally move a bunch of leaders to the same point?

02-06-2013 09:10 AM in reply to: ghunt1981

Are you drawing in 2D or 3D? If 2D, make sure your view is top down - perhaps you're grabbing some spot way off down below the level of most of your drawing, and then viewing at a tiny bit off flat planar.

There's some variable that causes the base point of a move or copy command to snap to 0,0,0 instead of where you're picking, but I can't remember it.

I think there can also be errors if you're a long distance away from 0,0,0.

Active Contributor
ghunt1981
Message 3 of 8 (646 Views)

02-06-2013 12:04 PM in reply to: Julesagainn

I'm drawing in 2D, but I'm not sure if it's related to that...

I was going through the aforementioned drawing, which is a very large pipe detail drawing I'm doing for a gas pipeline (valve settings, etc). I'm having to go through every individual detail drawing because there are leaders that were fine when I first put them where they were (copied via the Copy command and put in different places, since there are so many identical items), but now the end of the leader has moved off to some other location.  Has to be something weird with the dimension scaling because I know they weren't snapping to anything when I put the leaders & text in place.

I have the drawing scale set to 1:1 yet for some reason the dimension style defaults to 50 every time you close the drawing and reopen. I'm wondering if that's doing it, but as it is leaders don't update with the dimension update command anyway so wtf? Really doesn't make any sense to me.

**Master
dmfrazier
Message 4 of 8 (637 Views)

02-06-2013 01:53 PM in reply to: ghunt1981

"Does this happen to anyone else or am I just being tortured?"

Maybe both...:smileywink:

I have had this happen to me, starting with 2010, I think.  The leaders will be fine when I close a DWG, but go wonky when I re-open the file.  I don't know the "cause", but I have a sense that it has something to do with copying.  It seems as though the leader "remembers" the location of the text object it originally was connected to, even if the text is no longer there.  If I use the Express Tool (qlattach) to re-attach the leader to the correct text it then behaves.

Not a "solution", but at least now you know you're not the only one (being tortured).

*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 5 of 8 (624 Views)

02-06-2013 10:33 PM in reply to: ghunt1981

Is this in a drawing you created or one you got from someone else?

Are the leaders annotative, and is this happening when you change scales?

Have you examined all the properties of the leaders that go wonky?

Have you run an AUDIT on the drawing and corrected any found errors?

Dave

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Active Contributor
ghunt1981
Message 6 of 8 (618 Views)

02-07-2013 04:37 AM in reply to: heinsite

This is a drawing I created, someone else worked on for awhile, and now I'm back in it finishing it up.

No annotative dimensions in this drawing.

I don't see anything suspicious in the properties...just says it's a "leader" with the normal leader properties...

I have not run audit, I suppose I could try. I usually don't run audit unless a drawing crashes during certain commands or is just acting weird. I've had this issue happen on lots of drawings.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 7 of 8 (612 Views)

02-07-2013 05:19 AM in reply to: ghunt1981

one drawing. not all drawings.

dimscale auto-changes to 50 when you reopen.

not annotative.

happened after someone 'else' had the file.

Was this last edited in a vertical version of AutoCAD?

DIMASSOC setting?

As a test, turn off PICKFIRST for a day and see if the problem goes away if you are unable to confirm the first question.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
drjohn
Message 8 of 8 (601 Views)

02-07-2013 07:37 AM in reply to: pendean

Ya know, I've had this experience and still do with 2012 (I know it's a 2013 forum :smileyhappy: ) but I have narrowed it down to blocks with wipeouts under them. But only if it is attached to the block (wierd).

I use alot of blocks to assemble our product and have leaders go apesh!t frequently. Can't fix it but it almost ALWAYS happens when a wipeout is involved.  If I make a rectangle and place a rectangular wipeout under it and point a leader at the mid-point of the block, save and close, then reopen, the leader (80% of the time) has moved to the endpoint of the rectangle. If I do the leader with the wipeout off  frozen it behaves properly.

Sidenote: Dimensions also hate wipeouts.  I dim in PS and if I have a block with a wipeout under it and dim it in PS thru an mview it will dim the PS value.  Kinda like a programmer fergot to take the mview scale factor into acount in the dim module when a wipeout is involved. Freeze the wipeout layer (all wipeouts are on the same layer, of course) then dim the same place, it gives me the correct value. Go figger.

I've worked around it and now it's just in my workflow to adjust for it.  Just FYI ... thought it was an interesting anomoly. Wish they'd fix that, but then ... que sera

Regards,

DJ

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.