Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Layer conundrum

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Gelby4
257 Views, 6 Replies

Weird Layer conundrum

This is something I've noticed, and I'll try to explain the best I can.

I have all these spaces, and to make freezing/thawing easier I have multiples upon multiples of layers for each space, namely "(Space Number) Dimensions", "(Space Number) Leasline", "(Space Number) Text". I've been going through them all, (because another coworker has disregarded my wonderful categorization, and rather than create a new, correct layer, she'll just pick one at random. Awesome.)

Anyway, when I select a text block, and see that it is wrong, while it's still selected I'll go into the Layer Props Manager, and create whichever of the three layers are missing (Sometimes all three! C'mon, coworker!).

I've noticed, that whenever I create the new layers, and try to change the still selected text block to the correct "(Space Number) Text" layer using the dropdown list, that layer won't show but the other two do! And it won't appear in the dropdown list until I unselect the block. Then it appears, every time.

Why is this? Does AutoCAD realize this block is also a "text" layer, and won't show new "text" layers until it's unselected?

I've noticed this on 2013, and 2015 as well.

TL;DR - New Layers won't show up in the dropdown layer list until similar-layered objects are unselected.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: Gelby4

The dropdown list update is not "in real time", unlike the LAYER palette which is: the list only updates when it is not being tasked to do something else.
Message 3 of 7
Gelby4
in reply to: pendean

So how come it updates the other two layers, but not the third?

Message 4 of 7
pendean

You noted why I believe:
"it won't appear in the dropdown list until I unselect the block"

With no DWG file from you with the problem, it's hard for us way over here to guess at or try to recreate it on our own: so how about sharing? Put notes in the file on how we can replicate the issue (which items to select when reating the layers/names etc.).
Message 5 of 7
nestly2

I can (sort of) replicate the problem, except my observation is that all the newly created layers DO appear in the list, but the last one created is not sorted properly in the dropdown list until after the current selection is released/unselected.

tygelb layer list bug.gif

Message 6 of 7
Gelby4
in reply to: nestly2

Pendean, it's exactly what nestly2 is showing. And since seeing your gif, I looked around more and found that my 1234c will appear at the very bottom.

P.s. I would love to know how to quickly make a gif like you did, nestly2.
Message 7 of 7
nestly2

There have been some new quirks with Layer Manager and the Ribbon Layer dropdown list since Autodesk introduced PROPERTYPREVIEW in AutoCAD2013.  Sometimes the unexpected behavior goes away when PROPERTYPREVIEW is disabled, but it doesn't seem to matter in this case.  I don't have a solution beyond what you're already doing

BTW, animated Gif was created with Camtasia Studio

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost