Did you mean: 

Viewres setting not holding in autocad / civil 3D 2014

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
zootango
5177 Views, 19 Replies

Viewres setting not holding in autocad / civil 3D 2014

I have drawings I go into and set the viewres system variable to Fast Zooms with a Circle Zoom Percent of 20000.

This allows my circles and curves to look smooth and not jagged.

I set this system variable and save my drawing, but then at sometime later I'll notice my circles are jagged again as well as in other drawings.

Why does the Viewres system variable not hold???

Is there some other way to make the viewres setting hold or another way to get the circles to show not jagged "all the time" in "all drawings" forever and ever???

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: zootango

Hi,

looking to the help (>>>click<<<) it tells us:

Sets the resolution for objects in the current viewport.

So the value is not stored for all drawing when setting the value just once.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 20
JDMather

I set it in my template.

Set it and forget it!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 20
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: JDMather

... and remember that if you work on drawings created by other people (with other templates) 😉

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 20
M_Hensley

If you set WHIPARC to 1 your circles will look smoother regardless of the viewres setting.

Message 6 of 20
rkmcswain

@zootango wrote:

I have drawings I go into and set the viewres system variable to Fast Zooms with a Circle Zoom Percent of 20000.

This allows my circles and curves to look smooth and not jagged.

Is there some other way to make the viewres setting hold or another way to get the circles to show not jagged "all the time" in "all drawings" forever and ever???

(a) I think Viewres is set to like 1000 in my template(s) and I never see "jagged" circles/arcs.

Having said that, I have seen "jagged" circles/arcs even when Viewres is set as high as 20000 if you zoom _way_ out then zoom back in.

A regen cleans it up of course.

(b) Viewres is stored in the drawing, so if it is truly changing when you open a drawing, there must be some startup routine changing it.

Note each viewport can have a different setting too.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 7 of 20
BruceAdams
in reply to: rkmcswain

Once again ADSK development creating too much BS that's not needed.  If you set viewres in a drawing it should stay that way until it is changed to another resolution drawing wide.  Actually I don't see a need to knock down the resolution below 10000.  Never have seen a need for a low resolution setting at all, no matter how big my drawings have been.  Especially with the speed of graphic cards in todays pc's. 

Message 8 of 20
rkmcswain
in reply to: BruceAdams

....If you set viewres in a drawing it should stay that way until it is changed to another resolution drawing wide. .
It does. It's saved in the drawing.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 9 of 20
sthompson1021

VIEWRES has been broke since R2013.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-2015/VIEWRES-question-layout-to-model/td-p/4855099

It is still broke in 2015 along with other problems in the "latest and greatest" POS.

Message 10 of 20
BruceAdams

It doesn't for us.  I wouldn't have posted if it worked like it did in 2012.

Message 11 of 20
barry.lewis

Its not holding for me either or the other cad users in my office.

Something is causing it to revert back to 0 (zero) even without closing the drawing and reopening.

Ive tried typing in viewres and clicking Y (yes) and chging the setting there and also in the "Tools" Pulldown menu.

Either way, it doesn't hold and has to be constantly reset.

Running Autocad 2015LT here btw.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 12 of 20
sthompson1021
in reply to: barry.lewis

Hi, the only way to keep it from changing is to have the same VIEWRES setting in MS, PS (every layout) and MS inside the layout (every layout). It's a real pain in the A$$ when you have legacy drawings that have 40-50 layouts in each drawing.

Message 13 of 20
barry.lewis
in reply to: sthompson1021

Thank you sthompson!

Your solution is better than constantly having to reset.

Much appreciated.

Message 14 of 20
Z-Patton
in reply to: sthompson1021

Finally...Thank you sthompson! This has been driving me crazy!

Message 15 of 20
sthompson1021
in reply to: Z-Patton

And still broke in 2016Smiley Mad

Message 16 of 20
Randooley

I have tried all of the above and also changing it in the Options, Display Resolutions under the Display tab. It will change back to default several times throughout the day. It is beyond me why this simple issue can't be fixed by Autodesk!

Message 17 of 20
Z-Patton
in reply to: Randooley

Good morning,

I followed the advice from sthompson1021 'Hi, the only way to keep it from changing is to have the same VIEWRES setting in MS, PS (every layout) and MS inside the layout (every layout). It's a real pain in the A$$ when you have legacy drawings that have 40-50 layouts in each drawing."

And thit has worked for me.

Regards

Patton
Message 18 of 20
JimFolkers

I work exclusively in Modelspace and have had this problem for years through multiple Releases.

I have been using Civil 3D 2016 for about a week and it has cropped up in 3 seperate drawings. I was hopeful it had been resolved...but I guess it hasn't.

Very annoying!

Message 19 of 20
jwilliamwilcox

I just had the same problem (been bugging me for the past few weeks . . . can I blame the Windows update?  The eclipse maybe?) and found this thread in an effort to stop the madness.  Running LT 2016 btw.

I've been using AutoCAD since r10 DOS, and have always set the circle zoom percent to 2000.  This setting used to matter more and absolutely had an impact on lower spec machines or complex drawings.  In the past, whenever I worked with a drawing I'd set it to 2000, ONE TIME, and it would stick.  Literally in the nearly 30 years of using this software, I have never had a problem with this setting 'sticking'.  Until now.

Over the past few weeks, I've been noticing more jagged circles.  I'd run VIEWRES and set it to 2000 (from 100) and go back to work.  But it started to become apparent that it was not holding at 2000.

After seeing sthompson1021's post, I conducted an experiment.  I set my MS VIEWRES to 2000. hopped over to a layout, set that to 2000, went back to MS and found the setting back to 100!

So then I went to each of the layouts (mercifully only 4 in this dwg) and set them to 2000.  Went back to MS and found it back at 100.  !!!

I re-read sthompson's post, and realized he said I need to make sure the VIEWRES is set in each viewport on each layout as well.  Went back, activated every viewport (luckily only had 6) and guess what?!  Back in MS, the setting said 2000!!!

The rest of you who act as though this is a non-issue are either unaware or over-simplifying.  It appears that if your template is set right, you will be fine (since apparently new VPs adopt the setting from MS) but how can I explain my experience?

Is it possible that I copyclipped a viewport window from some drawing in which the setting was at 100, which then created the situation where MS adopts the lowest setting found in any viewport?  Possible I guess. But every one of my viewports in this drawing had the setting at 100.  Seems unlikely.

Ultimately, sthompson is right: MS will not keep the setting you input IF any of the layouts or layout viewports have VIEWRES at a lower number.  You may set it to 200 in MS, but if you then switch to a layout tab, then go back to MS, it will have adopted the VIEWPORT setting of the most dumbed down setting in the drawing (either a layout or viewport).

My 2 cents?  You should be able to MS set to 2000, and a viewport window to 100.  My version of AutoCAD (LT 2016) will not allow this.

Thanks Obama.

Tags (1)
Message 20 of 20

Hi @jwilliamwilcox,

I am running AutoCAD 2018 to test this. I set my viewres to 20000 in modelspace. Switch to a layout and the paperspace is also at 20000. I double click in the viewport  - it is set at 20000. I return to modelspace and it remains at 20000.

I tested this in AutoCAD LT 2017 as well with the same results.

Now when I double click in the viewport and set it to 1000, I can go back to modelspace and the viewres shows 20000. I go back to the layout and remain in paperspace and viewres is 20000.

So all of this appears to work properly.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost