Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Associative Dimensions with Blocks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
smbrennan
1774 Views, 6 Replies

Using Associative Dimensions with Blocks

I have a need to dimension points. The points are circles with a solid hatch that make up a block, nested into another block. The problem is, these dot locations are not final and may change. If they change, I want to simply modify the block since it's typical.

I run into a problem when I make a change to the block with the dots nested in it. When I move the dots, save and close the block, the dimensions that are associative don't update. I've run the DIMUPDATE command, confirmed that my DIMASSOC variable is set to 2.

I tried dimensioning the same objects with the main block exploded. Leaving me to have to move the dots one by one. That worked just fine.

So, does the associative dimensions not work with objects within a block? Can anyone else confirm that they've had this issue? Is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: smbrennan

Without a DWG sample it's not possible to answer your question honestly. We could play a guessing game if you want, or perhaps in this instance what you want is not possible.
Message 3 of 7
smbrennan
in reply to: pendean

As I was putting a sample file together, I thought I had discovered the answer to my own question - at least it appeared that way until I actually tested the application.

My block had blocks nested within it. The dimensions were not associating to the nested blocks. However, once I went into the block and exploded that nested block, the dimensions were then associative.

However, once I went into the block and moved the dot, the dimensions did not automatically update. 

In my mind, this defeats the purpose of blocks.The file I tested on is attached.

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 4 of 7
pendean

Dimensions don't work like that with content inside blocks: sorry.

Are you sure you need blocks? if they change as often as you indicate perhaps having more than one block is needed (for eack 'dot' location) or use GROUP instead of BLOCK if you still want dimensions to follow movements in content.
Message 5 of 7
smbrennan
in reply to: pendean

The purpose behind the block was that each block was typical (obviously).

The issue was/is that we had a light fixture with mounting holes and knock-outs for cable. We wanted to install the support system prior to receiving the fixtures - but pre-drill the supports with the exact hole locations. We wanted to place the dimensions while we have time now, and once we get a verification of the dimensions from a fixture itself, we would simply update the block with the mounting holes & knock out locations.

I have never used groups before, but always knew that they exist. I will look into that for the next time this application comes up. Thanks.

Shawn B.

||    
Message 6 of 7
1Fabricator

It seems to me that the points are included in the Block! If only the rect. were blocked, then the points and assoc. dim.s would work fine.   LL

Message 7 of 7
rade_tomovic
in reply to: 1Fabricator

OK, I have same problem, file is attached. Dimensions on upper left and upper right part of drawing stay assooc. when changing dynamic block's parameters, but that part down is going crazy and dimensions don't stay assoc. when updating

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost