1405 Views, 17 Replies

Unused Layers are Automatically Deleted when opening file from Autodesk 360

Here are the steps I took:

1. Created a drawing with 30 layers
  2. Drew objects in 2 layers
  3. Saved the drawing and waited for it to automatically sync with Autodesk360
  4. Closed the drawing and re-opened it from the synced file
  5. Observed that all the layers except for the 2 I drew on had been deleted

I would like to retain all of these layers when I save a drawing to Autodesk 360. Why are layers being automatically deleted? How can I tell Autocad to retain all of my layers (even the as yet unused ones)? I am using Autocad 2015.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

So this problem does NOT occur if the file was ssaved locally?
Message 3 of 18

That is correct. When I open a drawing like this one that has been saved locally, an "Excess Layer Filters" Form pops up and I am given the choice to either "Delete all layer filters" or "Retain all layer filters." If I choose "Retain," all of the layers remain, including the unused ones. When I open the same file from Autodesk360, it is as if the "Delete all layer filters" option was chosen automatically
Message 4 of 18

Type POINT to place a node. 

Pdmode is set default to 0

Place the node on 0,0,0 (or  somewhere in the layout tab) place it on desired layer. Type PDMODE 3.

Make the X hovering over the node the desired layer.

Repeat this for all of desired layers.  Type pdmode 0. The x’s will disappear but remain in the dwg. Delete the nodes.   The layers will remain even if you purge the dwg.   

WARNING: The ONLY way to get rid of these layers is to type PDMODE set it to 3 and delete.   

You may want to modify the qnew .dxf with these desired layers.  

Message 5 of 18

So I'm essentially putting some kind of hidden object on each layer so that it's not technically empty and therefore won't be deleted? That's a clever hack, but I was hoping there was some kind of setting I could change. Your solution should work for my situation because I pretty much always use the same template drawing, but it would be a pain if I had to do that every time!

Message 6 of 18

Also what is "qnew .dxf" and why would I want to modify it?
Message 7 of 18

Qnew creates a new dwg based off your template.  It is the blank Drawing 1, Drawing 2 ect. You get each time you open AutoCAD or a hit QNEW button. 

The dxf location is found in

OP <enter>

----Files tab

-------Template settings

----------Default Template  File Name for QNEW

----------------C:\programdata\autodesk……………..

It must be opened as a dwt from that location and name, and then saved as a dwt after you add your layers.  Those layers will then be there every time you open AutoCAD on Drawing 1

Message 8 of 18
HaxLi
in reply to: tq1918

So it helps with layers, but what about STYLE and DIMSTYLE?
Should I put some Anotations with different styles to seve them? ;]

Thanks for the Tips

--
Life is a Game
Message 9 of 18
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: HaxLi

@HaxLi wrote:

So I'm essentially putting some kind of hidden object on each layer so that it's not technically empty and therefore won't be deleted? That's a clever hack..., but it would be a pain if I had to do that every time!

So it helps with layers, but what about STYLE and DIMSTYLE?
Should I put some Anotations with different styles to seve them? ;]

[That ^^ big gap isn't my fault -- it isn't in the message pane as I write it, but appears only after posting, and I've tried several things to get rid of it, without success.]

A template drawing can contain Text and Dimension Styles, Block definitions, Layouts, Viewports, etc., etc.  If you can't find a way to preserve your Layers without the cheating workaround of placing a Point on every Layer to prevent its being deleted, you can put those Points in the template drawing, too, and not have to do it every time.  [But be aware that they are susceptible to being Erased, in which case the "protection" they provide will be lost.  A slightly more idiot-proof way would be to put them into a Block and Insert that on a locked and frozen Layer that isn't the Layer of any of the Points.]

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 10 of 18
jeanniekowing
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

I have got to interject that this seems utterly ridiculous!  I teach three high school classes, 12 in each class.  I can bearly get the kids to USE the correct layer much less go through this process.  Our district wants us to save projects to 360, but we are abandoning this idea because of the lost layers:  we open a template in AC, do a little drawing then loss the 45 layers from the template the next day.  There is no "setting" for this in options?

This is frustrating.

Message 11 of 18
pendean
in reply to: jeanniekowing

You will need to ask the A360 folks about why posting files on their website triggers a clean up of unused layers in those files. There is nothing in the program AutoCAD to do beytond what was already discussed above.
That forum is here http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/a360-drive/ct-p/201
Message 12 of 18
jeanniekowing
in reply to: pendean

Thank you.

Message 13 of 18
GegH1

I'm having exactly the same issue. I contract to a number of companies and one way to keep evryones work coordinated (including template files) is to put them on A360.

Not only has it now purge all my template files, but at one point i think it decided to do an update by deleting all files then restoring them. However, i turned my machine off before it finished restoring them (because i hadn't realised it had deleted them in the first place) and i lost a number of folders.

If autodesk believe that cloud computing is the future (i happen to agree with them on this one), then stuffing your clients work is not really the way to go.

Creative Intentions
AutoCAD Certified Professional
Win 10 Pro 64bit, HP ZBook 17
Message 14 of 18
jeanniekowing
in reply to: GegH1

I am sorry for your loss, but now I know I am not crazy! Of course,
Autodesk said the problem is our computer system here at the school I teach
at, not them. I don't believe that.

--
Jeannie Kowing
Instructor
kowije@pasdwi.org
Message 15 of 18
pendean

We never put anything on a Cloud server without having at least one backup copy locally. You never know when Operator and Service errors or conditions do what you don't need them to do.

That's just good basic computing 101 type of protection all users should practice. I don't know about schools, but our clients would fire us if we lost project content and blamed it on a service... .
Message 16 of 18
jeanniekowing

We are talking about a 100% failure rate and, yes, we have back ups.We are
just trying to get to a conclusion of how the cloud storage will ever work
for our students.

BTW, my business is entirely on the cloud for the last 4 years without one
issue and backed up onto another cloud. I do not use AutoDesk 360 as it
has not had any liability for me.
Message 17 of 18
pendean

That's the problem with cloud services: there is no 'standard' expectations of what happens to files. Until there are universal standards, you are taking a risk.

I doubt A360 is the exception, you've probably just not hit that spot yet with your other file-sharing-storage cloud services where the service is concerned about storage or file viability.
Message 18 of 18
GegH1

i supose we were just hoping that with autodesks many years of experience with Buzzsaw, some of that experience would have been brought to A360.

I would suggest that if buzzsaw messed with drawings in this way it would not only have failed many years ago but also Autodesk would have spent many years fending off court actions.

Maybe the A360 team could spend ith the Buzzsaw team to find out how they've done it.

Creative Intentions
AutoCAD Certified Professional
Win 10 Pro 64bit, HP ZBook 17

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost