Did you mean: 

Turning images into Hatch patterns for use in Autocad

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
sandernauenberg
30669 Views, 10 Replies

Turning images into Hatch patterns for use in Autocad

I am not a user of autocad, is there a way to import .pat files or .jpg files created in photoshop into autocad to be used as hatch patterns?

If not can export sketchup files in a format that can be imported into autocad to be used as hatch patterns?

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Patchy
in reply to: sandernauenberg

Try command SUPERHATCH

Message 3 of 11
scot-65
in reply to: sandernauenberg

@sandernauenberg wrote:

I am not a user of autocad, is there a way to import .pat files or .jpg files created in photoshop into autocad to be used as hatch patterns?

If not can export sketchup files in a format that can be imported into autocad to be used as hatch patterns?

Place PAT files in a folder that has a support path declared (command OPTIONS).

Only one pattern definition allowed inside a PAT file (exception is ACAD.pat).

command BHATCH and select the ellipse button [...] next to the Pattern drop down.

Tab to Custom.

Make selection.

544937a7.jpg

If pattern is erroring out, then code structure is not correct. Most likely it is the header

of the pattern that is not following the rules. Open ACAD.pat with an ASCII editor and

look at how the headers are structured and try to replicate. If not mistaken, the header

and file name must match (and no spaces or escape-type characters in file/pattern name).

Hope this helps.

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Message 4 of 11

Though it may not work for every situation, you can have two hatches associative to the same boundary. So a true color solid behind say a brick or plank pattern is a simple way to fake a surface texture. Unlike the superhatch the composite hatch can be easily edited by adding vertexes to the boundary or adjusting hatch properties. 

Message 5 of 11
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: Tommy2shoes

@Tommy2shoes wrote:

Though it may not work for every situation, you can have two hatches associative to the same boundary. So a true color solid behind say a brick or plank pattern is a simple way to fake a surface texture. Unlike the superhatch the composite hatch can be easily edited .... 

That's still a far cry from using something like a photoshop image as a hatch pattern [I suspect the Superhatch suggestion is the only way to do that].  But if what you suggest works for a given user, in newer versions of AutoCAD you can do that with one pattern, because there's a background color option:

HatchBackground.png

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 6 of 11
Tommy2shoes
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thanks! I did not see that while making the hatch.

Thomas Taylor

CAD Operator, Clive Daniel Home

Phone: 239-261-4663 Ext. 7882
Message 7 of 11
john.vellek

Hi @Tommy2shoes,

Did you get a solution to your hatch question? If so, please mark a post or posts as Accepted Solution. If not, Let me know where you are in the process and I can try to offer further suggestions.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 8 of 11
Tommy2shoes
in reply to: john.vellek

What brought me into this discussion was a search for something better than Super Hatch to wallpaper 2D wall elevations. Being able to adjust a hatch pattern origin, scale & rotation etc. after creation is better than not being able to. I will take another look at using Materials and View Styles.

Message 9 of 11
john.vellek

Hi @Tommy2shoes,

Yes, mapping materials is probably the better way to pursue this. Hatches are designed to handle linework.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 10 of 11
Tommy2shoes

I did look into it. Plotting is problematic considering sheet set file sizes grow etc., after you set up the acceptable raster resolution. Working with real images by clipping/masking actual images in Autocad works and plots just fine in the 2D view environment, without setting up resolution. I think you could easily improve autocad by getting the materials tools to work within the 2D wireframe view style like any images. I do try to avoid workarounds or additional software requirements if possible.

Tom
Message 11 of 11
Tommy2shoes

To get the attached PDF I installed the monitor drivers which the IT department neglected to do. Much improvement in output to PDF even using realistic view style. Your standard wallpaper material is in model space on a thickened polyline object. The remaining room images are just that, clipped images also placed in model space. The text and vector objects need to be in paper space.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost