Did you mean: 

Trouble using autocad windows files on mac auto cad

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mgiannini
448 Views, 5 Replies

Trouble using autocad windows files on mac auto cad

Hello friends,

I am working from home this week and need some advice as soon as possible, please. I am a mechanical designer in which I use CAD for windows at the office, but I am working from home on my Mac with AutoCAD installed properly. My proplem is that when I try to open my mechanical drawings and it is telling me it is a read only file, which is impossible since I was just previously working on these files from the office. I have tried to change the permission of the file on my MAC so that I could make it a writable file, but it does not allow me or give me the option with the padlock. Could anyone please give me some clear advice or instructions on how I can convert this file to be able to use it on the mac or maybe another option on how to change it from a read-only file? 

Thank you for your responses

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: mgiannini

No software will overcome an OS file lock: why is the file locked starts with finding out where the file is stored (your screenshot is unclear and your post lacks any details) then finding out why your OS cannot access it.
Message 3 of 6
NeutronStar13

You did not mention what version of AutoCAD for Windows and which Windows OS version the file was used on, and the same information on the MAC side.

Also, are you accessing the files through a network?

Are you VPNing into the server at work?

If so, is there someone at work who could be accessing the files at the same time that you are?

Message 4 of 6
JDMather

Why have you ignored my response here http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2013-2014-2015/is-autocad-for-windows-compatable-with-autocad-...

Why did you start a new thread on the same problem?

Until you run the test I suggested - it will be a guessing game to solve the problem.

Did you save and Close the file before copying to removable media to transfer?

Did you try to open from the removable media, or did you first copy the file to the local machine?

What was the result of the two tests I suggested in previous thread?

Where are the two dwg files that I suggested you attach here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 6
zalant
in reply to: JDMather

It appears that Dean requested the OP to create a new thread in the Mac-specific forums, and provided a link for him to do so.

I agree that testing with brand new files in both directions would be a good thing to do, as it would narrow the focus and help determine the source of the issue. Also, it would be good to know if the file was open at the time, in Windows, when it was copied to the portable drive. It's possible that there are DWL/DWL2 files present in the same folder as the DWG, and that might be telling AutoCAD that the file is read-only. If that were the case, it should be possible to remove those files, thus allowing the file to open on the Mac.

Zac Travis
Message 6 of 6
Ron-C
in reply to: zalant

How did the OP transfer the file ?

If he copied it to (Burned) to a CD, then tried to open it on the MAC from the CD, it would surely be "Read Only"

Ron

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost