AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Active Contributor
jgray
Message 11 of 14 (1,280 Views)

Re: Transfer Settings from One Computer to another

11-21-2012 12:24 PM in reply to: hardin

Hey thinks for the help, which if any file does system variables get saved in. For example all that I work with prefer to use the old hatch dialog box instead of the ribbon so I have the system variable "HPDLGMODE=1"  is this saved in the profile? I know it is not saved in the workspace file aka the .cuix file.    Any ideal where these settings are saved at?

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 12 of 14 (1,278 Views)

11-21-2012 12:27 PM in reply to: jgray

Some system variables are not saved.  Others, are saved in individual drawing files.  The rest are stored in the registry, mostly with a specific profile.  There are one or two which are stored "globally" outside of any profile.

If you can get ahold of one of the old CHM style help files, you can peruse the list of system variables and see which of them is saved where.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Active Contributor
jgray
Message 13 of 14 (1,275 Views)

11-21-2012 12:51 PM in reply to: dgorsman

Thanks for the advice.  So here basically is a run down of what I have determined from all of this and please speak up if I have something wrong. 

The location and which tool bars are active, along with adjustments made to the ribbon and basically the overall look of the autocad interface is stored in the workspace settings .cuix file.

It is not completely known what is stored in the user profiles inside of autocad but it is believed that at a minimum adjustments made to the file tab in autocad options dialog box is saved in the user profile. It is not known what is fully saved to adjustments made in the tabs that are in the autocad options dialog box ie., if changes to lets say the default crosshair colors is made if this information is stored within the user profile or if changes made to the default selection preview settings are adjusted.  We basically do not know if the autocad user profile produces a one for one copy of changes made to ever single setting made in the autocad options dialog box. 

Currently it appears that one can not easily transfer system variables made from one computer and deploy these changes to other computers without doing sometype of looking around in the original computers registry.

I do however have one final question, what settings are saved out when you use the  "migrate custom settings" command found in my computer's start menu?  It produces for me a zip file that I can then use "import custom settings".  Does anybody have any clear documentation on which exact "custom settings" are exported?  

Yet again feel free to correct me if I am wrong about any of my above statements on what type of information is found in the .cuix or the autocad profiles, I am just trying to figure it all out so that I can set up my computer as the company standard and then deploy this to the others in my company as quickly and effortlessly as possible. 

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 14 of 14 (1,267 Views)

11-21-2012 03:47 PM in reply to: jgray

Workspaces are saved in a CUIx file.  This may be in the MAIN CUIx or the ENTERPRISE CUIx; changes can only be saved to the MAIN, the ENTERPRISE is by design read-only.

"It is not completely known...", "We basically do not know...", etc.

Well, it is known and most of it is documented, there's just too much to repeat verbatim here.  The best bet is to look into the help contents (if you can stomach it *and* get the correct content), and/or look into the registry settings as well as the ARG files.  One of my favorite phrases: "People learn by doing."  Direct changes to the registry and deleting/reloading profiles from ARG files are the best ways to change settings if you are not already set up to do so.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.