Did you mean: 

Top of prints are being cut off.

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
drewpeacock44
19901 Views, 8 Replies

Top of prints are being cut off.

i just got a new printer here at work because the other one died and when i got to print a paper space, the top of it is being cut off and i have a large empty margin at the bottom and i cannot figure out how to correct this. we have a printer on the server that i can print to and it prints everything fine but its on the other side of the build which is about a ten minute walk. and i have to make multiple prints at different times of the day so that isnt a good way to be doing this.

this is a picture of the plot options when i go to print to the computer that prints everything fine

4035 printing.jpg

notice, that underneath the properties button, the little image of the area of paper that is going to be printed on is almost completely filled, which is a good thing.

now this next pic is of the same thing but using the new printer

3050 printing.jpg

notice how it is not shorter than it should be. im not sure what needs to be done to fix this or if it can be fixed at all.

if it is the printer settings that need to be changed, could someone help me with that too? the model of printer that i have is an HP Deskjet 3050A.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dmfrazier
in reply to: drewpeacock44

First thought: compare the margin settings (printable area) for the two page sizes in the two different printer drivers.

Message 3 of 9

As Frazer was saying, you may need to go into your printer properties and set your margins to zero. After this you should be able to choose to center the plot...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 4 of 9

i dont have the option to adjust the margins in anyway... any other suggestions?

Message 5 of 9
JDMather

@drewpeacock44 wrote:

i dont have the option to adjust the margins in anyway... any other suggestions?

I'm sure you do - but sort of hidden, you have to do a lot of drilling.

Printable Area.png

When in Layout you should see a dashed line that represents the printable area for your printer (or the boundary you set).

Print Area.png

Why I was drilling - I also found this (don't know if it is relevant to your printer/plotter).

Edge 2 Edge.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 9
dmfrazier

You might have to create a new PC3 file (if you haven't already).

In some cases (maybe most?) you will have to go to "Custom Properties" to be able to modify any of the printer-specific settings:

PC3_editor.png

Message 7 of 9
dgorsman
in reply to: dmfrazier

In addition to the other suggestions, fly out the rest of the plot dialog (small arrow at bottom right of dialog) and check to see if you are plotting landscape or portrait.  Also check the printer settings for auto-rotation - some of them assume everything is portrait orientation and will "fix" it for you.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 9
drewpeacock44
in reply to: dgorsman

i still havent got a solution for this.

this is what im trying to print 

sample.jpg

and this is what is actually printing

Scan0001.jpg

any ideas???

Message 9 of 9
JDMather

Perhaps the dashed line bounding box is closer to the edge of the sheet of paper than your printer/plotter is actually capable of printing.  In that case you need to edit it to show correct printable area for your printer.

I recommend that you create a simple sample dwg with only a rectangle in Model Space shown in Paper Space viewport at size similar to your actual file that exhibits the same behavior.  Attach this example file here including make and model of printer you are using and hopefully someone here is using the same printer and can guide you on the correct settings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost