Did you mean: 

There was a problem sending the command to the program

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
chadcross
28056 Views, 22 Replies

There was a problem sending the command to the program

I get the error "There was a problem sending the command to the program" when I try and double-click a .dwg in windows explorer to open the file, or when I right click the autocad 2014 program icon from my taskbar and try and open a recent .dwg or pinned file. This only occurs when Autocad is not already open. I've also noticed that if I produce the error, autocad continues to start up, and if I close it down and try and open the same file (again by double clicking the .dwg with autocad closed) it will open without the error. 

I'm using W7 x64 with Building design suite premium 2014.

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: chadcross

Ok Lets try the following suggestions:

1. Reset settings to default (Start > All Programs > Autodesk > AutoCAD "Version" > Reset Settings to Default
  2. Right click on the drawing and make sure the "Open with Default" is set to your AutoCAD Application
  3. Make sure you have all the relevant service packs installed

Is this only happeing with one specific drawing or any drawing?

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 3 of 23
chadcross
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Thanks for the reply, I tried your suggestions to no avail. It happens with any drawing. From what I read in other posts, autodesk seems to want us to open autocad first, then a drawing.
Message 4 of 23
JoAnn_Hogan

Ideally it is better to open the software then the drawings.

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 5 of 23
maaustria
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

I also encountered these problem. Also in addition to this I tried to uninstall/ reinstall it, still same error. Any account user that I used, same error also.

I tried ununstalling it using Revouninstaller but when it views the applications installed, AutoCAD LT 2015 was not seen. But the said application was installed.

See also below error on Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: WSCommCntr4.exe, version: 4.0.3.0, time stamp: 0x52df746e
Faulting module name: WSCommCntr4.exe, version: 4.0.3.0, time stamp: 0x52df746e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000015a1e
Faulting process id: 0x14d4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cfae184653d8e4
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\WSCommCntr4\Lib\WSCommCntr4.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\WSCommCntr4\Lib\WSCommCntr4.exe
Report Id: 63e233f8-1a0c-11e4-be8a-b8ca3a801e6d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

For your assistance.

Thank and regards,

Mary Ann A. Austria

Message 6 of 23
ceethreedee.com

Chad

Did you ever solve the problem? I have a few users that have the same issue.

Changing the default type - does not fix the error

Uninstall/Reinstall - still no fix

It is some sort of problem related to the DWG launcher settings (probably in the registry). Im just not sure what yet.

Is there any other methods to configure the DWG launcher settings?

Civil 3D 2021 (Update 1), ACAD (SP1.3) MAP (HF0.4)
Infraworks 2021.1,
Win 10 -DELL Precision Notebook 7730

ceethreedee.com
Message 7 of 23
chadcross
in reply to: ceethreedee.com

c3d,
Nah, never found a solution. Like I said before, it seems Autodesk wants AutoCAD to be open first before double-clicking .dwg files to open them. I have installed 2014 on 6 computers that were just built from scratch, and they all react the same way to double-clicking .dwg files without AutoCAD open first.

Sometimes that error will pop up, sometimes it won't - no real rhyme or reason. It doesn't appear to be due to an installation error, though. I think it's "working as intended" according to Autodesk.
Message 8 of 23
twarber

I see that these posts were from a few months ago but I had the same issue recently and found a solution.

Right Click on the AutoCAD Shortcut and go to Properties, then the compatibility tab and uncheck "run this program as administrator"

Now you will be able to double click to open a drawing and not get the error message.

Thanks

Message 9 of 23
chadcross
in reply to: twarber

This did not work for me. I received the pop-up notification asking if I wanted to allow AutoCAD to make changes (typ. for run as admin.) and almost immediately the problem sending command to program popped up as well.
Message 10 of 23

I had the same problem . and i try your solution ...works for me!!

MAny aplications windows recommends run as administrator and by defualt

put this property to any icon on my desktop never make i relation about

after that this problem start

I think Autodesk needs to fix this issue in some service pack future

RegardS!

Message 11 of 23

You don't want software vendors to rewrite their programs to override your OS security settings: that's what anti-virus program look for to kill in those apps that you don't want.
Message 12 of 23
info

This worked for me to solve in Autocad 2015 

Right Click on the AutoCAD Shortcut and click Properties, in the compatibility tab check "run this program as administrator" click OK.

Double click on a drawing to open it. You will get an elevated propt. Click Yes on this.

Close autocad.

Right Click on the AutoCAD Shortcut and click Properties, in the compatibility tab no you uncheck the "run this program as administrator" and click OK.

Problem will be solved.

Message 13 of 23
chadcross
in reply to: info

In Autocad 2014, this solution does not work. Setting the shortcut properties to run as administrator and double clicking a drawing to open it (elevated prompt appears) causes the "Problem sending the command..." to show up every time.
Message 14 of 23
nearnorth

Hi, I've tried this suggestion as well as others and I've still not solved this problem.  This is really frustrating because I share a dropbox with coworkers so need to be able to open by double clicking or downloading without opening first.  This is contrary to the way I've always used Autocad. Can anyone else help with any other solutions to this?  I just want to be able to open my drawing in explorer or dropbox

Message 15 of 23
pendean
in reply to: nearnorth

"Ideally it is better to open the software then the drawings." From a response above that truly eliminates the problem 100% of the time.
Message 16 of 23
bprice

I was having a startup issue with C3D 2015; splashscreen would just sit at "Loading..."; the toolspace window and Civil 3D icon (top left icon from the program window) would also show, but wouldn't respond. This method fixed that, at least for now.
Message 17 of 23
chris.anderson

This worked, thanks.

Message 18 of 23
osmargm1202

thank you very much. That solved my problem.

Message 19 of 23
1500sanju

my computer autocad 2007  There was a problem sending the command to the program

Message 20 of 23
hamzash

Thank you, it works for me on Autocad 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost