AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

steve.griffiths
Message 1 of 7 (3,097 Views)

Text Style Width Factor and DText / Attribute Updating

3097 Views, 6 Replies
09-26-2012 06:24 PM

Hi All,

I am trying to get DText objects to update width factor when I change the Width Factor of the Text Style. We have one style (Simplex) & I hoped to be able to set the width factor of that style to 0.8 or 1.2 depending on what is required and then just insert objects from the tool palette so they have the correct width factor.

This seems to work for MText but not for DText or Attributes.

Short of using lisp is there a to update the width factor of DText & Attributes? (hoping to be able to do this on LT also)

Only way I can see for DText is to qselect text and change style to something else and back to Simplex.

Only way for attributes I've found is to advance edit block and change text style to something else and back.

Anyone have a way of doing this globally???

Thanks in Advance

Steve :-)

AutoCad 2013 & LT 2013

Product Support
Soyoung.H
Message 2 of 7 (3,071 Views)

Re: Text Style Width Factor and DText / Attribute Updating

10-01-2012 07:29 PM in reply to: steve.griffiths

Hello Steve,

It is the normal behavior as designed.

If you look into F1 help, you can find below description.

Certain style settings affect multiline and single-line text objects differently. For example, changing the Upside Down and Backwards options has no effect on multiline text objects. Changing Width Factor and Obliquing options has no effect on single-line text.

I also attached a captured image.

Soyoung.H
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 3 of 7 (3,060 Views)

10-02-2012 12:01 AM in reply to: Soyoung.H

Hi,

First: I fully agree to your answer soyoung.han, but:

(!SCNR!) ... one thing in your screenshot makes me laughing (or weep bitterly): you searched for ".SHX" then clicked onto "..assign an asian-language shx..." to get the info about limitations for the text width-factor.

My greatest respect is earned for remembering such "search-workarounds". Sorry to say: it's symptomatic for how anyone have to use the help-database, but that is not the way any user will search.

I would have searched for that info by starting the STYLE-dialog and click onto "Help"-button there. And then you need additional two clicks anywhere within the text (and the knowlege "which two" to click) to get that info.

That makes it really hard to use the help currently.

Compare it with the help for 2011 >>>here<<<, on the right side you have the help-text, on the left side the first click and you are where you wanted to be.

@ steve.griffiths:Sorry that I take your thread (that I think is answered) to start a new type of voting

@ soyoung.han: the following words are really not against you, it's just to show up how not-helpful the help is currently.

@ admins, it's also for you ok I hope!

@ALL:

If you wish to have the old type of help back (at least the old structure, including table of content), answer to this thread with some additional words and a +1

If you are happy with the 2013-help and don't want to have done these changes, then answer to this thread with 0

My goal with this thread is to show Autodesk, that a great help (that it was imho with 2011) has been degraded for the last two releases (at least my opinion and also for a lot of people I read in different forums). But for me it looks like Autodesk ignores this currently. I also want to know if there are some people out there, that are happy with the current situation.

+1

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Expert Elite*
drjohn
Message 4 of 7 (3,044 Views)

10-02-2012 07:18 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

+1

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 5 of 7 (3,041 Views)

10-02-2012 07:31 AM in reply to: steve.griffiths

+10 :smileyvery-happy:

*Expert Elite*
dbroad
Message 6 of 7 (3,031 Views)

10-02-2012 09:32 AM in reply to: steve.griffiths

Steve,

In my experience, all it takes to update the style settings on single line text is to switch styles and then back again.  This can be done using the property palette.  Specific settings that are normally controlled by styles can also be set directly in the property palette at the object level, even for groups of single line text objects.

Doug

+1

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 7 of 7 (3,018 Views)

10-02-2012 11:05 AM in reply to: dbroad

nice trick,  I'ld have juset edited the width factor, but the swapping back and forth of style worked very well.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.