Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Justification Default

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
charles.neely
11559 Views, 20 Replies

Text Justification Default

Any way to change the new text justification? I'm tired of it holding the last setting. I want it to default to left and when I want a different justification I'll change it.
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
pendean
in reply to: charles.neely

Nope: but you can easily automate it with a little Lisp.
Message 3 of 21
JoAnn_Hogan

When you are using single line text. Once you selected the command (before you place your text down) you have an option in your command line "Justify". Select it and choose your justification.

When using Multiline text. Once you have placed the text box, your ribbon will change and you will find your text justification settings in the "Paragraph" panel.

When there is a text that is already correct I will use MA (Match Properties) to change the other ones

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 4 of 21

Can I give this 1000 kudos?

Text justification needs to be by default left. I can't even fathom why right is an option. I've two different leader settings where I can toggle left justification on (Qleader beign the best one, it even has the correct leader start points correct), but there is no way that I can see to change the amleader setting to default to left.

Inventor Professional 2020
HP Z440, Xeon E5-1650 @ 3.6GHz
32GB Ram
GTX 1080
Windows 10
Message 5 of 21

Has anyone found how to default to left justification single line text. This thread seems to still be open.

Message 6 of 21
stevev0983
in reply to: jimmy21480

You can also edit your cui and change the command for mtext from this:

^C^C_mtext

to this:

^C^C_mtext;\j;tl

and it will automatically justify top left

Message 7 of 21
jimmy21480
in reply to: stevev0983

I'm looking for a solution for single line text, not mtext.

Message 8 of 21
jimmy21480
in reply to: jimmy21480

All set. I created a macro to do it.

Message 9 of 21

Thank you, stevev0983! Your little macro for changing the default MTEXT justification was just what I was looking for. I wanted my MTEXT to default to center but couldn't find anything in sys variables or regular settings. I just put your macro ^C^C_mtext;\j;tl into that command in the CUI but changed the last "L" to a "c" and voila! Yudda man.

Message 10 of 21
Drew.Houk

as far a I can tell, when you create a text entity using the 'text' or 'dtext' command, the justification you use will become default for that drawing until future changes to the justification. if this setting is changing, perhaps there is more than one user modifying the drawings.

Message 11 of 21
pendean
in reply to: Drew.Houk

Correct: changes in the JUSTIFY option in text commands sets a read-only variable called TEXTJUSTIFY.

Long time AutoCAD wishlist: make TEXTJUSTIFY an editable variable instead so we can all control justification outside of the text commands.
Message 12 of 21

Hi Kian D Smith and @stevev0983

@kian.d.smith7469 wrote:

Thank you, @stevev0983! Your little macro for changing the default MTEXT justification was just what I was looking for. I wanted my MTEXT to default to center but couldn't find anything in sys variables or regular settings. I just put your macro ^C^C_mtext;\j;tl into that command in the CUI but changed the last "L" to a "c" and voila! Yudda man.

Your solution seems to be exactly what I need; however the macro doesn't work for me.

I inserted:

^C^C_mtext;\j;MC;

^C^C_mtext;\j;mc;

^C^C_mtext;\j;MC  [with space after]

and so on. still, no go.

Please help.

Message 13 of 21
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: gideon.botes

@gideon.botes wrote:

.... the macro doesn't work for me.

I inserted:

^C^C_mtext;\j;MC;

^C^C_mtext;\j;mc;

^C^C_mtext;\j;MC  [with space after]

and so on. still, no go.

Welcome to these Forums!

It would not be case-sensitive, and macros automatically feed in an Enter at the end if the last character isn't some kind of control character, so the space wouldn't be needed.  What do you see at the Command line when you pick a menu item containing one of those macros?

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 14 of 21
jimmy21480
in reply to: pendean

You're the only one that understood what i meant. I agree for that to be editable in the future!

Message 15 of 21
gideon.botes
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Welcome to these Forums!

It would not be case-sensitive, and macros automatically feed in an Enter at the end if the last character isn't some kind of control character, so the space wouldn't be needed.  What do you see at the Command line when you pick a menu item containing one of those macros?

Thanks so much for getting back to me 🙂

See, I figured this to be my problem - I'm not using a menu-item, but instead I use text command.

I saw elsewhere that the CUI "commands' are not "command-line commands" but instead the tools from the ribbon and icons etc. Is this true?

I type in the command, and then it just carries on as normal, without implementing the justification I specified in the macro. It just says at command line "Specify first corner" and continues doing it LT (left top) instead of MC (middle center).

But when I use the ribbon button, then it works as I specified in the CUI macro.

I suppose this is fine, although command line commands help me do my job faster.

Which is the purpose of wanting to automate the default justification in the first place - to do things faster.

Thanks again!

Message 16 of 21
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: gideon.botes

gideon.botes wrote:
...  What do you see at the Command line when you pick a menu item containing one of those macros?

See, I figured this to be my problem - I'm not using a menu-item, but instead I use text command.

I saw elsewhere that the CUI "commands' are not "command-line commands" but instead the tools from the ribbon and icons etc. Is this true?

I type in the command, and then it just carries on as normal, without implementing the justification I specified in the macro. ....

But when I use the ribbon button, then it works as I specified in the CUI macro.

Yes, it's true -- a macro definition cannot be called up by just entering a regular command name.  You have to "put" the macro somewhere [your ribbon button] and call if from there.

If you almost always use middle-center justification for Mtext, it would be possible to have a routine automatically loaded that would Undefine the Mtext command and replace it with a new definition that always supplies the MC justification, as your macro does.  That would mean that the regular command name would have the same result as your macro, because it would call up a differently-defined Mtext command.  It would still be possible to use the standard Mtext command if and when you need to use another justification, by typing in the name with a preceding period/decimal.MTEXT.

But consider something else that would be possible:  It sounds like you want MTEXT to remember the justification you last used, and default to that if you don't request something else, rather than always assuming Top-Left.  [That's the opposite of the intent of the OP here, who wants the TEXT command to not remember the last justification you used, but to always default to Left justification, as it did in earlier versions.  I do find it rather curious that the program has been altered so that it remembers the last-used justification for Text, but not also for Mtext.]  But it would be possible to make a new definition of the Mtext command that would not always use MC, but would remember whatever justification you last used, and use that unless/until you ask for something different.  Would that suit your needs as well as or better than an always-MC version?  I think it would be better for me, since I don't have a justification that I use overwhelmingly enough to want to always default to it.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 17 of 21
dale

HI!

just started with AutoCAD LT and am still trying to get m head around everything.

i have found a macro, and assigned it to a button on the ribbon, pretty much with each click it inserts a number, then increments it for the next one on each click. it looks like this:

*^c^c_text;\;;$M=$(+,$(getvar,USERR1),$(getvar,USERR2));setvar;USERR1;$M=$(+,$(getvar,USERR1),$(getvar,USERR2));

I want to set it so it justifies middle center (at the moment it justify s left), so if i click on the dead center of a circle (which is where i want the numbers) the number will line itself up right in the middle. i tried this:

*^c^c_text;\j;mc;$M=$(+,$(getvar,USERR1),$(getvar,USERR2));setvar;USERR1;$M=$(+,$(getvar,USERR1),$(getvar,USERR2));

adding in the ;\j;mc; part, as mention earlier in this thread but it didn't work. it seems to then ask me all the usual questions about the text i want to insert but then doesn't execute the last bit and actually insert the number. any other suggestions?

Message 18 of 21
dale
in reply to: dale

so i solved my own problem.

i found that what i wanted was to understand what the expressions in the macro meant, so i did and first go i was able to do exactly what i wanted.

The document i found was located here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/520/11526/1/AU09_SpeakerHandout_CP214-1.pd...

and the macro i ended up using was this:

*^c^c_text;mc;\;;$M=$(+,$(getvar,USERR1),$(getvar,USERR2));setvar;USERR1;$M=$(+,$(getvar,USERR1),$(getvar,USERR2)); 

As described in the document, if you take note of what you type in the command box, you can replicate that in the macro. kinda embarrased i didn't work this out sooner. anyway, its here now if anyone wants to use it in the future.  

Message 19 of 21
pieterjanproost
in reply to: dale

Hi everyone,

I know this is a very old topic and maybe the solution is already given but I found in the 2019 version, and probably also for the older version, a solution.

When you open a new template and do nothing else but type "text". You can change in the command the justification of the text. Change this to whatever you want is default.

Then escape the text command and just save your drawing as .dwt. You can keep the same name. Now when you open that template the default text justification is set to whatever you choose.

I hope this helps!

Message 20 of 21

Thank you for your follow up! I tried it with basic text objects and
noticed that AutoCAD remembers the default. However, that said - for
some reason if you try to do it with MTEXT, it doesn't keep the
justification change as default.
Hmmmm....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost