Text height is not updated when switch the style from command line

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
sandeep_koodal
1589 Views, 12 Replies

Text height is not updated when switch the style from command line

Hi,

Anyone can explain this behavior?

1. Open the attached drawing(Text style is Annotative and the Annotation scale is 1:4)

2. Execute MTEXT command

3. Pick the first corner of the Mtext editor

4. Enter S for Style

5. Enter "Standard" to switch the style

6. Pick another corner of the editor and start typing

The text height is as per the Annotative style, but the text style is Standard!!??

Why this behavior? I did anything wrong?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
kcobabe
in reply to: sandeep_koodal

Looks correct to me.

MTEXT will alwyas use what DTEXT is set to as default.  So if you want to change the default height change the DTEXT default.  If you are okey with that as the default or you forget to change it go into the mtext editor and change the height in it.

editor.jpg

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 3 of 13

Change the Textstyle before enacting the MTEXT command. Once you start MTEXT, I believe the style is already chosen, by what is active, at the time of you enacting the command.

If you want to change Textstyle on the fly like that, you have to go back and highlight all the text in the MTEXT box which you want to change the style. Then change style.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 4 of 13
pendean

You did:
"4. Enter S for Style
5. Enter "Standard" to switch the style"
And now you complain "but the text style is Standard!!??"

Can you explain in more detail what the problem is? or is it a TYPO? STYLE command controls text font and annotative on/off, TEXTSIZE variable controls text height not addressed in STYLE's settings. In your file, STANDARD is not ANNOTATIVE and set to zero height, the other style is called ANNOTATIVE and i annotative but also set to zero height. TEXTSIZE is set to 2,5. MTEXT in your file is defaulting to a height of 10, probably were you left it last.

This just seems to be a little bit of a text setting mess, nothing more.

On a side note: stop calling items you want to use ll the time as "STANDARD", this makes troubleshooting problems a lot easier in the future.
Message 5 of 13
sandeep_koodal
in reply to: pendean

The problem is simply this:-

Why the text height is not changed as per the Style?

I changed the style to Standard and the text height remains to Annotative. I know there are lot of other way to change the text style, but curiosity dragged me here.

Message 6 of 13
pendean

You don't have a height set in STYLE command, so your 10 setting in MTEXT now rules.

Start STYLE command and set all your heights there, for both or all of your styles. At the moment you are at the mercy of every other command's settings.
Message 7 of 13

If you use 0 as the text height in STYLE settings, the height of your text is controlled by the setting defined in the Dimension Style Manager text height.

Message 8 of 13
pendean
in reply to: steve216586

OP is using TEXT and MTEXT, not dimensions... .
Message 9 of 13
sandeep_koodal

I did some more research and got this:

The annotative text has two different height which are Model and Paper text height. When we change the style to annotative or from annotative, then the text height is treated as model text height. By doing this, user will get correct paper text height at layout/plots.

I'm not a mathematician  and still scratching head to find correct calculations 🙂

Message 10 of 13
pendean

you have to set the desired text height in STYLE command for each text style you have defined.

At the moment you are allowing each commnd to manipulate the settings individually. No math needed, you are not creating the desired settings in STYLE command.
Message 11 of 13

"I'm not a mathematician  and still scratching head to find correct calculations "

Multiply your model space text height by the viewport scale.

e.g. Viewport scale is 1/4"=1'-0" and you want text in paperspace to be .125" when plotted. Your modelspace text height should be .125"x48 = 6" (every 1/4" measured in paperspace is representing 1' in modelspace, there are 48 - 1/4", in 12 inches)

Now your modelspace text and paperspace text will "appear" the same size, relative to your model.

I think you mentioned your viewport is scaled 4:1. (every 4 paperspace units = 1 modelspace unit) In this case you would divide your text height.  Therefore, .125" / 4 = .03125"

Message 12 of 13
sandeep_koodal

You are right, but I know what I'm doing and this is not the correct workflow. I accidently noticed this behavior once and I was not satisfied with the concept. Anyway now I'm more clear. 

Math means here the Model and Paper text heiht are calculated by your current annotation scale of the drawing. E.g. If your annotation scale is 1:10 and the text height is 0 at the Text style, then the model text height of annotative text will be 25 and the paper height will be 2.5. That means 2.5(TEXTSIZE)*10(Annotation scale)=25(Model text height).

*AutoCAD will use the TEXTSIZE variable value when your text height is set to zero at text style. TEXTSIZE variable value depends up on the template. E.g. 2.5 for Metric and 0.2 for Imperial.

Thanks for support.

Message 13 of 13

Yes I got it. See above comment for what I mean for calculations.

Another case is here:

1. Open a new drawing(Acadiso.dwt)
  2. Set annotation scale to 1:10(model space)
  3. Draw a mtext(Standard Text Style)
  4. Select all the text in editor(Notice, the text height is 2.5)
  5. Change the style to Annotative from ribbon or toolbar dropdown
  6. See the text height is now 0.25.

• Exit the editor and change the text style to Annotative by ribbon or style dialog.
  • Draw a mtext

Now both text is Annotative, but the height are different.Smiley Mad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost