Did you mean: 

Tekla vs Autocad 3D or ???

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
ChristineMacK
3881 Views, 4 Replies

Tekla vs Autocad 3D or ???

Hi there,

I work for a company as a draftsperson.  We do concrete structures such as utility vaults, manholes...and many many more.  We've been using Autocad (2d) for a long time, but the company is looking to use a different program...more specifically they are looking at Tekla.  I've been using cad for years, and just had a Tekla pesentation, and it is a very different way of doing things. 

Would someone be able to tell me if autodesk makes a software similar to Tekla, or would autocad 3d be able to do everything Tekla does?  I'm very nervous about the potential change being the only draftsperson for the company.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry if i posted this in the wrong category, I wasn't sure where to post it 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: ChristineMacK

Closest thing I can think of to Tekla (what little I know of it, at least) would be the Revit products.  Going in that direction is a huge step as there are no more "draftspersons".  Everybody is a designer, responsible for knowing not only the software but the design concepts as well (and in many cases, construction and potentially purchasing).  They are engineers, if not in fact then in operation.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 5
wtheron
in reply to: ChristineMacK

Take a look at Autodesk Advance Concrete and Advance steel. It will be an easier transition than learning completely new software.
Message 4 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: wtheron

Definitely a good middle ground solution.  I have the impression the OP doesn't have much say in the selection of software though, and it sounds like the employer isn't going for a half-step but fully embracing one of those total-solution packages.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 5
ChristineMacK
in reply to: wtheron

Thanks I had no idea this even existed.  I will certainly look into this 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost