Did you mean: 

System Variables in Support Paths?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
2278 Views, 10 Replies

System Variables in Support Paths?

I was wondering how others have specified a local path for the Main CUI.

I have my Enterprise path pointing to the location on the network, but i'd like to create a profile that has the Main path set to something like %USERNAME%\appdata\roaming\autodesk\autocad 2015\r20.0\enu\support\custom.cuix

How have others handled local CUI files?  should i just put it in a generic folder like "c:\AutoCAD 2015\CUI\custom.cuix"??

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

If you have to support a lot of users or have high staff turnover, yeah - do what you can to reduce the number of per-computer/per-user variables, so set-up involves one hammer and not the full toolbox.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 11
Jason.Piercey

@Anonymous wrote:

How have others handled local CUI files?  should i just put it in a generic folder like "c:\AutoCAD 2015\CUI\custom.cuix"??

I create a shared folder on the network for each user/workstation.  Map that folder to each workstation (I use P:\) and place all custom files in that location within a folder for each version of AutoCAD.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: dgorsman

so i guess my question then becomes "does anyone have a user base where users customize their UI?"

if they do, how do they set that path for the Main CUI? is there some function in creating the deployment package that we're missing? we're setting a custom profile that pretty much handles all of the support paths, but i guess i can't have a support path point to a user-specific (or unique) location, is that correct?

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Jason.Piercey

and then do you manually set the Main CUI path to point to the specific network folder for each user? that's what i'm trying to avoid doing. 

we build deployment packages which allow you to include a particular profile where we set all of our support paths. i'm thinking we just need a folder at the root (or wherever) that is common to all workstations.

i was just hoping i could bundle it under the Users\UserName location with a sysvar.  oh well 🙂

Message 6 of 11
pendean

Start OPTIONS command, click on the PROFILES tab and you can create new profiles here.

OPTIONS command's FILES tab is a geat place to idenfity locations for the different CUIx file you had in mind to use.

Message 7 of 11
Jason.Piercey

@Anonymous wrote:

and then do you manually set the Main CUI path to point to the specific network folder for each user? that's what i'm trying to avoid doing. 

we build deployment packages which allow you to include a particular profile where we set all of our support paths. i'm thinking we just need a folder at the root (or wherever) that is common to all workstations.

i was just hoping i could bundle it under the Users\UserName location with a sysvar.  oh well 🙂

Since we are a small place now, yes, I set them manually.   I've done it via LISP code in the past, when I had more workstations to manage.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

yep, that's correct. 🙂

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

so the OPTIONS form doesn't accept the variable, but the profile file (.arg) does.

i just added the following:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R20.0\ACAD-E001:409\Profiles\CAD User\General Configuration]

"MenuFile"="%UserProfileFolder%\\AppData\\Roaming\\Autodesk\\AutoCAD 2015\\R20.0\\enu\\support\\custom"

(note for anyone else - you don't include the file extension in the path, just the name and you need the double backslashes (as usual))

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

i guess i can't edit a comment that was marked as a solution, so here's a new solution that i found to be a bit more flexible:

add the following to your .arg file under the section [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R20.0\ACAD-E001:409\Profiles\{yourprofilename}\General Configuration]

"MenuFile"="%RoamableRootFolder%\\support\\custom"

Message 11 of 11
juan.c.ayala

I know this coversation has a solution, but we use AutoLisp to check and make sure certain paths are always in the users' profiles. Let me know if you want more information.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost