Did you mean: 

SUBscripts in Attributes - How to?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
RFUSE
11335 Views, 11 Replies

SUBscripts in Attributes - How to?

I am on vanilla R2014.

I cannot figure out how to get SUBscripts into an attribute,  I have searched all over the web to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Perhaps an alternate way is converting Mtext with subscripts to an attribute?  Anybody know of a routine to convert text to an attribute for use in blocks?

Thanks,

R

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
pendean
in reply to: RFUSE

That's an MTEXT only ability I believe: as in it is only available in that object type ( attributes are separate object types).
Message 3 of 12
RAFUSE
in reply to: pendean

Dean,

Last night I actually managed to get superscripts, but subscripts show as a square box where the subscript should be.

Thanks,

Message 4 of 12
pendean

Since that's not what you wanted...
Post a DWG, let's all give it a try
Message 5 of 12
murray-clack

Convert the Attributes into Multiline Attributes, and you'll have all the functionality of MText

Message 6 of 12
RAFUSE
in reply to: murray-clack

I can call for "multiple lines" attribute and actually get into the Mtext editor.? I can get the subscript to "show" in the editor, but as soon as I close the editor, the subscript goes to regular "in line" text.
?
?
I can get some superscripts by using the "\U+0B2" for superscript 2 and? "\U+0B3" for superscript 3, but that's all that's available. I need more than that.
?
Am I asking for too much from Autocad?? I really don't think so.??But, my?wife says I push programs, equipment, etc.to the "limit" and beyond.? Maybe so.?
?
Thanks,
?
R
Message 7 of 12
murray-clack
in reply to: RAFUSE

Try this....

Let's say (for arguments sake) you want a Mulitline Attribute to say "H2O" (where "2" is a subscript), do the following:

1. In the mutliline attribute editor, H^2O  (<-Note the carrat ^ between the H and the 2)

2. Highlight the ^2

3. Click the stacking button on the editor toolbar 

Message 8 of 12
drjohn

In MTEXT:

For subscript (text below the line) enter ^ before the text you wish to place below the line, then highlight the ^ and the text, right click and then Stack. <--- Murray already covered this part I guess. Smiley Happy

for superscript (text above the line) a similar process as above, except swap the position of the ^ to the end of your text. repeat the steps as necessary.

Regards,

DJ

Message 9 of 12
pendean
Message 10 of 12
Bob_Zurunkle

By the way, if you highlight the 2 the chevron and the space in the MText editor, you can right-click to get to the editor and fiddle with what's super and what's sub. Also through this you can access that other dialog box where you can tell it how to stack fractions (in case like me you previously told it to stop popping up every time you entered a fraction...)

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 11 of 12
RFUSE

Sorry I have taken so long to return, work issues.

I finally have either super/sub scripts in attributes.  The ^ was the trick.  Also, in multiline attributes, in the "Edit Attribute Dentition" pop up, one must pick the icon on to the right of the "Default" field.  I missed that trick for days.

I also notice that the sub/super scripts do NOT display in the drawing, but do show when you insert the block - curious.  Looks like a bug in Autocad?  They don't show up in the "preview" either.

Perhaps in the next release Autodesk could provide a way to create sub/super scripts just like "bold", italics",  "underline", etc.  And have them display on the screen and in "preview".

Thanks to all for you gracious help!!  Sincerely appreciated.

R

Message 12 of 12
jaydikarai

If you set the variable ATTIPE to 1 (stands for ATTribute In Place Editor, default is 0), you'll get the full mtext editing capabilities for your multiline attributes, including stacked fractions.

No workaround for single line text besides whatever fractions are available as part of the font.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost