Strech dynamic block (curve)

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
marco.defina
2955 Views, 11 Replies

Strech dynamic block (curve)

Hello,

i'm trying to make dynamic block for a security fire escape...

i have a block that i can rotate and i can strech. But my question is, it's possible to stretch not in line but with degrees to make a curve?

See the video, i need everytime to copy and paste a new block rotated to continue the line. It's a way to have a dynamic block that follow another direction during the strech (as a polyline)?

Sistema.gif

Thank you.

BIM Manager - HVAC and Plumbing designer https://www.autodesk.it/content/dam/autodesk/www/products/responsive-imagery/responsive-badges-compare/2019/navisworks-manage-2019-badge-75x75.pngApp AutoCAD per dispositivi mobili premiumNavisWorks Simulate3ds Max___________________________________________________________________________
Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
nrz13
in reply to: marco.defina

Just to clarify, you want a bend not a curve, correct?  You said curve but showed a bend.

I think to do a bend, you'd basically just want to have two separate lines/arrays, one with a polar distance parameter and the other with just a distance parameter with a stretch command on each.  When you need the line to be straight, you just stretch the one; when you need a bend, you've got a separate node to bend out.

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure how you'd do a curve, but I think it'd be much more difficult. 

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 3 of 12
ajohnson

Have you looked at using an dynamic array that arrays a block and follows a path?

Message 4 of 12
marco.defina
in reply to: ajohnson

nrz13:

Just to clarify, you want a bend not a curve, correct?  You said curve but showed a bend.

I think to do a bend, you'd basically just want to have two separate lines/arrays, one with a polar distance parameter and the other with just a distance parameter with a stretch command on each.  When you need the line to be straight, you just stretch the one; when you need a bend, you've got a separate node to bend out.

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure how you'd do a curve, but I think it'd be much more difficult. 

I will have this for example with one block dynamic:

1.JPG

@ajohnson wrote:

Have you looked at using an dynamic array that arrays a block and follows a path?

I don't understand what do you mean...
The block at this moment is setted with a series...

BIM Manager - HVAC and Plumbing designer https://www.autodesk.it/content/dam/autodesk/www/products/responsive-imagery/responsive-badges-compare/2019/navisworks-manage-2019-badge-75x75.pngApp AutoCAD per dispositivi mobili premiumNavisWorks Simulate3ds Max___________________________________________________________________________
Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums.

Message 5 of 12
kasperwuyts

The DWG I added contains an example of a path array. There are downsides to this method:

1) the path line is an actual visible line, although you can put it in an invisible layer

2) to align the chains perfectly, you aways need to make sure the polyline segments are an exact plural of the 'between' distance.

It's very easy to add segments to the polyline however.

Best regards
Kasper Wuyts
in reply to: kasperwuyts

This is very good, but doen't exist a way to set that the series goes only step to step..If the arrow is 40mm lenght, the series linear can only have 40-80-120... lenght.

For example my block when i strech stretch only the lenght of the arrow, not more not less.

Message 7 of 12
kasperwuyts

You can, but only if you are prepared to have a fixed number of line segments for your path. It's a tradeoff. You can put the array in a block and add a bunch of polar stretch parameters to your path line. Here is an example with 5 segments.

Best regards
Kasper Wuyts

Thi is what i want! Only one thing, why in this case i can't add a new line to continue? only stretch and rotate...In the first one work...

Message 9 of 12
kasperwuyts

That's because the first one was not a block, just a polyline with a path array, so you could edit the polyline in anyway you want, such as extending, stretching, , adding segments, etc... This second one is a block, and the grips are actually all individual parameters. You cant edit the polyline anymore, except if you explode the block, at which point it starts behaving exactly like the first one.

So, as I've said, it's a trade-off. You can use the second one for initial placement, then explode it and manipulate it further, and then if you want, you can still put constraints on the path to fix certain segment lengths.

Best regards
Kasper Wuyts

Then I have one thing or the other?

Message 11 of 12
kasperwuyts

Unfortunately, yes.

Best regards
Kasper Wuyts

-Marco-:

Kasperwuyts already illustrated what I was talking about with his second drawing.  Unfortunately, I know of no other way either.  Just take your worst-case scenario and put that many grips in it.  Just because it has 8 bend points (or whatever) doesn't mean you have to use them all.  You can still have one straight line bending into just another straight line.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost