Did you mean: 

STENCIL command?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
dbroad
1343 Views, 12 Replies

STENCIL command?

AUTOCAD 2014

I typed "S" this morning, hoping the stretch command would be triggered.  Instead, the stencil command appeared which appears to be an alias for "insert".  Although the alias is not in the acad.pgp, it appears to be hard coded into the program.  How in the world does stencil get interpreted as "insert"? 

A more important question is "How to get rid of it?".  I've tried undefine. It says the command does not exist.  I've tried atoms-family to see if it was a lisp defined command and it wasn't.

Does anyone know how to edit the autocomplete list?  Best I can do is just turn it off.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
pendean
in reply to: dbroad

Thre is no STENCIL command: did you install an add-on? Running something else on top of AutoCAD? Someone at your office messing with you?
Message 3 of 13
Kent1Cooper

Just a thought -- add it to the acad.pgp file, triggering Stretch as I would think the original alias ought to have been.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 4 of 13
dbroad
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Good workaround.  Wonder what Adesk was thinking!

Message 5 of 13
dbroad
in reply to: pendean

No one here but me.  Doesn't show up in the atoms-family.  I didn't create it.  Won't undefine.  Thanks for the notice that stencil doesn't exist for you.  Perhaps its an MEP thing.  I'm using the base AutoCAD but there could be something hanging around.

Message 6 of 13
Jason.Piercey

Vanilla 2015 SP1 here.  Just as you noted Stencil invokes Insert.

Message 7 of 13
dbroad
in reply to: Jason.Piercey

Thanks for the confirmation.  At least I'm not imagining it.

Message 8 of 13
pendean

undocumented future command placeholder?
Quick test, STENCIL brings up INSERT in R2014 (unknown in R2013): wonder how I broke it in 2015... .
Message 9 of 13
kentr8

I have a stencil command in 2014 and didn't even know it, look it up in help and get no results. It appears someone at Autodesk was bored and wanted to mess with us
Message 10 of 13
3wood

@dbroad3 wrote:

Does anyone know how to edit the autocomplete list?  Best I can do is just turn it off.

I just turned it off. It always annoys me. I would rather looking in help file to find out the correct command name and trying to remember its full name, or select from the menu.

Message 11 of 13
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: Jason.Piercey

@Jason.Piercey wrote:

Vanilla 2015 SP1 here.  Just as you noted Stencil invokes Insert.

Same in 2015 here, but S invokes Stretch as expected, so there's obviously something else going on.  Stencil is in the auto-complete list [with (Insert) following, I guess so you know what you're really getting], but it doesn't pop into the default to become what I get with Enter until I've put the first four letters in -- for S it offers STRETCH, for ST --> STYLE, for STE --> yet another similarly oddball substitute name STEPPED (OFFSET), and finally STEN --> STENCIL (INSERT).

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 12 of 13
dbroad
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

What users should have is edit access to the autocomplete list at some level to switch off commands from the autocomplete list.

Message 13 of 13
Jason.Piercey

Another strange one.

Typing in NUMBER invokes QSELECT.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost