Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard Components - How to get it in AUTOCAD 2014?

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
kerthivasan
11634 Views, 15 Replies

Standard Components - How to get it in AUTOCAD 2014?

Hey,

I am using AUTOCAD 2014. My work requires use of many standard components (Mechanical).

Does AUTOCAD 2014 have a library of standard components? ( I am aware that AUTOCAD Mechanical has them, but I don't have that software. So I wanted to know how to get them in AUTOCAD 2014 :))

When I tried ways to include them, I came to know about blocks. But then, not all components are available in blocks (like, full range of Metric Fasteners).

Do you know of any comprehensive website, where I can get the blocks for standard components (Mechanical) for free?

I tried,

http://www.cadcorner.ca/fasblocks.php   -   Though this is good, when I tried inserting them, the size of the bolts were too small than their specified size. (see picture below)

AutoCAD Block Insertion Confusion.JPG

http://www.draftsperson.net/index.php?title=Metric_Bolts_-_Free_AutoCAD_Blocks

Or, is there any other way to include standard components other than blocks?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Hi,

>> Does AUTOCAD 2014 have a library of standard components?

No, AutoCAD is a "global" CAD system, not specific to any branch.

>> when I tried inserting them, the size of the bolts were too small

Look to the units in the source drawing of that part compared to the drawing you have currently open. Maybe the scaling depends on different unit-settings (so e.g. a part in inch inserted into a drawing set to millimeter will be scaled automatically).

>> Do you know of any comprehensive website

No sorry, but you should keep in mind: getting any blocks from web-sites will always have there own layer structure, there own linetype-settings, units and so on, if you need just a few items it might be better for your drawings to make them by yourself (and so ready to be used with your structure).

>> Or, is there any other way to include standard components other than blocks?

Not without development.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 16

Hi Alfred,

Thanks a lot for your answers.

I have one more doubt, regarding to "Scaling"

If you see the picture, I drew a line of 10 mm length. Then I inserted the M 10 bolt head from a block. But did you see the difference? The diamter of the M 10 bolt head (the circle inside the polygon) must be atleast 10 mm right?

Message 4 of 16

Hi,

to verify all that follow these steps:

a) start command _UNITS and look what unit is set in that dialog

b) open the property window (<CTRL><1>), select the inserted block and look to the properties "Block Unit" and "Unit factor"

You might also upload that drawing so we can look into it.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 16

Hi Alfred,

@Alfred.NESWADBA wrote:

Hi,

>> Does AUTOCAD 2014 have a library of standard components?

No, AutoCAD is a "global" CAD system, not specific to any branch.

- alfred -

Accidently, I found a way to insert Mechanical Standard Components in AutoCAD 2014 🙂 (Atleast bolts and Nuts, if not all !)

By pressing Ctrl + 3, I got the below shown window. After selecting Hex Nut Metric, I was able to select its size by clicking on the downward arrow that appeared when I hovered over the nut. (2 Pictures shown below)

Standard Components.JPG

Standard Components 2.jpg

Standard Components 3.jpg

Though the Hex Bolt was available, only the plan view is shown. ANy idea on how to get the side/front view from it?

Message 6 of 16

Hi Alfred,

@Alfred.NESWADBA wrote:

Hi,

to verify all that follow these steps:

a) start command _UNITS and look what unit is set in that dialog

b) open the property window (<CTRL><1>), select the inserted block and look to the properties "Block Unit" and "Unit factor"

You might also upload that drawing so we can look into it.

- alfred -

I checked in the Property WIndow. It shows the BLock Unit as "Unitless". I guess it is the problem. But how to change the "Block Unit" to millimeter ? I am attaching the Block diagram in this post.

bu.JPG

Message 7 of 16

Hi,

>> But how to change the "Block Unit" to millimeter ?

If the block is already in your current drawing defined then start block editor with that blockdefintiion, in the property window you can then change the block units.

If it the external drawing you want to modify then open the drawing, start command _UNITS and change the units to millimeter in the dialog.

If you have multiple unitless drawings you can predefine in AutoCAD what insertion-unit/-scaling should be used: start command _OPTIONS, goto tab "User Preferences" and change the two fields for units to that you want to have as default.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 8 of 16

hi,

>> I found a way to insert Mechanical Standard Components in AutoCAD 2014

That are no objects from AutoCAD Mechanical, that are just a few block samples to see how palettes can work.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 16

Any idea on how to extract the side view from the bolt inserted bolt view, shown in the attached picture?
Message 10 of 16

Hi,

>> Any idea on how to extract the side view from the bolt inserted bolt view

The palette does nothing else then getting the block from a specific drawing, so the blocks are already defined in a drawing, no need to extract it then.

Right-click the symbol that you want to know where it's stored ==> properties and you see the position of the drawing in the dialog. Like that:

2013-08-07 14-03-53.png

HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 11 of 16

Hi,

I tried going to the Block Editor and changing the Units. But even after doing so, I find no chnage in its size. 

I have inlcuded 2 pictures below. In both, there is a standard M10 nut. But the M10 bolt size remains the same, no matter whatever unit I choose - mm or m ?????

1.JPG

2.JPG

Message 12 of 16

Thanks.
Message 13 of 16

Hi,

can you upload that drawing?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 14 of 16

I am attaching the drawings.

Message 15 of 16

Hi,

I'm not sure what the problem is (in the SAMPLE.DWG), when I measure the object it shows me a diameter of 10, at least the value you wanted, isn't it?

2013-08-07 17-39-39.png

The other drawing has to be used more careful as the blocks are not defined in millimeter, so just redefine the blocks units is not enough, each block-content has first to be scaled to the correct (millimeter)-size, then it can be used to insert in drawings set to millimeter.

E.g. when you edit the block "M24x50 Hex Head Bolt Sv" and measure the diameter of the thread, it's not 24mm, it's 0.9446 (unitless) ... and inserting that without scaling it first to 24mm will result in a wrong finished size).

HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 16 of 16

Hi Alfred,

Actually, the M10 nut is fine. The problem was with the Bolt, as you have identified, the Indication and the diameter doesn't match. ("E.g. when you edit the block "M24x50 Hex Head Bolt Sv" and measure the diameter of the thread, it's not 24mm, it's 0.9446 (unitless) ...")

Now I got, it. I need to scale first in the block and then insert them !!!!

Thanks a lot for your time in explaining my doubts clearly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost