Did you mean: 

Sorting Filenames with Drawing Index Order Using Window File Explorer

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
kschu1
838 Views, 2 Replies

Sorting Filenames with Drawing Index Order Using Window File Explorer

If the filenames and drawing index are in numerical order, by date, or name sequence it is no problem.   The problem occurs when there is no correlation to the drawing set order and corresponding filenames for sorting in Windows File Exporer fields provided.  Some clients require a certain filename formatting that does not lend well to a  drawing set index order. 

Is there any help in finding a solution to unique sorting using Windows File Exporer?

Here's what I tried and didn't work: 

Using "Drawing Property..." ( "dwgprops" command) I examined fields listed under the "Summary" that seemed to correspond to a field listed in Window File Explorer (rt. clicking field bar gives hints to available fields)  I chose "Title" and popuated the blank entry with "01"  next drawing "02" respectively.

Now thinking if I make the "title" field acitve in Windows File Explorer I could sort out my drawing in this manner.  When I sorted the files in Windows File Explorer  "title" space was empty even though it was shown in the AutoCAD Drawing Property box..

Then I tried to use edit filename properties in Windows File Exporer to polutate a field (rt. click name properties)  The values were greyed out and not  could not edit.

What solutions have you come up with to sort these files; with 50 or more files it gets very confusing and time consuming?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jggerth1
in reply to: kschu1

Time to explore the wonderful world of Sheet Set Manager.  Solved all these issues, Plus it slices, dices, and makes julienne fries.  (ok, that last's an exageration)

Message 3 of 3
kschu1
in reply to: jggerth1

Thanks for the suggestion!  I meant to try that option; but thought it to complicated or non-applicable for my use.  

The Sheet Set feature is the solution to the sorting issue; and it was there all along.  Thanks!   

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost