Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Download

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
jeremy
410 Views, 11 Replies

Software Download

Not happy that we have to pay extra to get a hard copy of the software. 

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
dgorsman
in reply to: jeremy

Throw the downloaded installer on a thumb drive.  Problem solved.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 12
JDMather

I am curious -

who is charging?

Autodesk or reseller?  (I haven't checked Autodesk lately as I have downloaded for several years now and put on removable media.)

If Autodesk, can you post screen capture or url?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 12
Ron-C

It would appear so...............Autodesk Subscription site

Capture.JPG

Message 5 of 12
jeremy
in reply to: JDMather

This is the email I received.

Important Update  

Hello,

Software Download was introduced to Autodesk customers in 2010 and has become the most effective and environmentally-friendly way to access Autodesk software. As a result of the decline in requests for physical shipments, Autodesk will no longer ship physical software—free of charge—to Maintenance Subscription customers in US and Canada.

Effective September 29, 2014, physical shipments will be available for purchase for $30 US each (costs include standard shipping).

How to order physical media
View tutorial on how to download.

If you have any questions, please contact your authorized Autodesk reseller or Autodesk sales representative.

Message 6 of 12
Patchy

Let's say you're paying $970 for download from Autodesk website, if you have to pay $1,000 and get the dics will you be any happier?

Message 7 of 12
GrantsPirate
in reply to: Patchy

I would rather they just add the cost in to the subscription (just be honest and admit that they are raising the subscription cost).  It is a pain to get a payment like that through purchasing in this corporate world.  One payment of $970 is easy with a PO but then to pay for the $30 I doubt they will take a PO, probably only want a CC.  Just makes things harder.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 8 of 12
Jason.Piercey

I'm not thrilled about it either.

Message 9 of 12
nestly2

The email says:

As a result of the decline in requests for physical shipments

So they're already saving a lot of money on media and shipping... why start charging $30 for those who still need physical media.  It is a backdoor price increase because they're taking away a Subscription benefit without adjusting the price of subscription accordingly.

Message 10 of 12
GrantsPirate
in reply to: nestly2

You know they will say that up until now they simply had not raised the price and were absorbing the cost.  Now they can no longer do that and will charge only those that want the usb/dvd.  See, they are actually saving most people money by only charging the ones that want the physical media.

First they came for the nice hard bound manual, then they took the pdf of that same manual, now they want the dvd/physical media.  Next, no more perpetual license?

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 11 of 12
DarrenP
in reply to: nestly2

they should have just charged for the shipping and kept the physical media free

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
nestly2
in reply to: GrantsPirate

I think starting to charge for media mid-contract may even be a breech of contract.  I did an extended contract last year, so my Subscription is already paid for through 2017.  I'm going to make a lot of noise, if they won't send me physical media at no charge for the duration of my existing contract.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost