Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snap ?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
844 Views, 10 Replies

Snap ?

Hello.

Normally you click twice to create a line.

Now I have the issue that when I click once, and then enter an number for the length, it wont snap onto the nearest line, while the green "nearest" symbol shows up.

It snaps onto the 91 degrees angle as shown in the pictures, and I want to snap it along the blue line (90 degrees).

I tried to find something to solve this issue but I couldnt find anything.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
nestly2
in reply to: 64961

AutoCAD will always draw a line in the direction of an active OSnap when using DDE (Direct Distance Entry)  Do you normally keep NEArest OSnap running?  There must be "something" under the Aperture that NEArest Osnap is finding.

Message 3 of 11
GrantsPirate

I don't believe the near osnap will work the way you are expecting, it either picks near or the distance typed will be accepted.

You should use XYZ filters to make sure you get the desired outcome.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 4 of 11
nestly2
in reply to: GrantsPirate

I'm curious what NEArest is snapping to.. I don't see anything there.  Regardless, I've always found NEArest too problematic to leave "running"... it just too hard to get the "right" OSnap point when NEArest wants to snap to "everything"

Message 5 of 11
GrantsPirate
in reply to: nestly2

I don't use any running Osnaps as a general rule, grabbing them from the assigned F keys instead.  Makes things more accurate as picking a point off of a line with running osnaps will result in a point selected, with the osnap assigned each time this won't happen.

GrantsPirate
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 6 of 11
nestly2

@GrantsPirate wrote:

...   Makes things more accurate as picking a point off of a line with running osnaps will result in a point selected, with the osnap assigned each time this won't happen.

I've had this debate before, and I still don't see how manually specifying an osnap is more accurate than running OSNAPS.  The OSnap marker tells you what's being snapped to (node, endpoint, quadrant etc).  If there are more than one instance of Osnap-able geometry within the Aperture, you're just as likely to get the "wrong" one whether the OSnap is manually specified... or running.

Message 7 of 11
GrantsPirate
in reply to: nestly2

Running Osnaps will let you pick anywhere on the screen, on an object or not.  An osnap set deliberately will not allow you to pick anywhere but on an object.  Try it and you will see.  Think of it as error trapping.

I have seen it many times on various forums where people zoom in and are surprised they haven't snapped to the end point of a line.  Invariably after having them turn off snap, osnap, polar, otrack, etc. and setting the osnap each time they don't have the issue.

GrantsPirate
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER

Message 8 of 11
nestly2

Gotcha... However, I'm obsessive about precision and I always work at the highest linear and angular units available, and I'd say I've never accidentally clicked on"nothing" when trying to Osnap to something.  If the OSnap marker is showing when you click, it's a sure thing, IMO

Message 9 of 11

Thanks for the replies.

I don't get it. When I turn Nearest off, I can finally set a length in one straight direction with no spaces between lines when zooming in.

But now I have the setting Nearest off, and I cant snap to any point of a line. I can only snap to the end of line, or the midpoint.

So I set the Nearest feature on, and then I constantly need to set the Orthomode on when I want to draw a line in one precize (0, 90 degree) direction.

Before AutoCAD, I was drawing in DraftSight. And there was no problem with this. I didn't expected it was that big of a deal for AutoCAD.

Let me show you my settings (see the prinstscreen)

Message 10 of 11
nestly2

I see two different problems.

1) In the first picture in your first post, the NEArest OSnap marker is clearly not snapping to the vertical line, so I would not expect Direct Distance Entry to snaps to the vertical line.  My question is what is NEArest snapping to if not the vertical line?  Is there something else there?

2) IMO, Dimensional Input within Dynamic Input is defective.  When Dimensional Input is enabled, Direct Distance Entry uses the cursor location to set the direction even if an OSnap is active. When Dimensional Input is disabled, DDE uses the direction of the active OSnap and ignores the cursor position.

I don't have a solution for #1, but my recommedation for #2 is to turn OFF the Dimensional Input feature within Dynamic Input.

OSnaps and Dynmode.gif

Message 11 of 11

THANKS that helped!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost