Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Switching Between Layouts

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
bmoore011
2888 Views, 6 Replies

Slow Switching Between Layouts

I have a 28 MB Autocad 2015 linework file with 13 layout tabs and no xrefs besides the titleblock. I have 32 GB of RAM on my computer but every time I switch between layouts or publish to PDF, it takes about 60 seconds or more to switch. Each layout has about three viewports open. I have tried all the LAYOUTREGENCTL options with no change. I have tried purging the file, etransmiting to another drive, exploding all blocks, changing the MAXACTVP, xrefing the linework in, and none of these have made any change. I have read previous forum posts, and none of the solutions have helped so far to speed up the file. Any solutions?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: bmoore011

What are the rest of your PC specs like? Windows OS?
R2015 isn;t exactly speedy in a 30MB file over here, but that's not a typical file size for us.
For publishing, ensure you turned off background publishing (it's on by default): very slow indeed.

PS: never EVER explode blocks in a file, that just makes performance worse not better. Big giant mistake.
Message 3 of 7
bmoore011
in reply to: pendean

I've just been trying variables to try and find what the problem may be. I am running Windows 7 64-bit.

Message 4 of 7
LyleHardin

Do you have a lot of palettes open, such as the Layer Manager and Property Manager? If so, they need to refresh with each change in drawing and viewport and tab, etc.

LAYOUTREGENCTL = 2 should speed up switching between tabs, but not the first time you switch, only the second and subsequent times.

How about LINETYPE scale and VIEWPORT scales? If you have a lot of hidden or dashed (non-continuous) linetypes then they will take a long time to regenerate as small scales.

Just some thoughts.

Message 5 of 7
bmoore011
in reply to: LyleHardin

I do not have any palettes open and only a few hidden or center line layers. While LAYOUTREGENCTL speeds up the process when I am returning to a layout that I have already opened, it does not help when I move onto another layout for the first time and does not help my problem. I have another file with the same problem that has about 40 layouts that take 2 minutes to open.

I have also tried turning off REGENAUTO which has not helped either.

Message 6 of 7
hgasty1001

Hi,

I'm not sure in this case, but TREEDEPTH may help if the drawing it's plain 2D, try setting it to a negative value like -3020 or so.

Gaston Nunez

Message 7 of 7
braudpat

Hello

On large and complex drawing, going for the first time to a Layout can take many minutes !

It depends mainly from your processor speed ...

The graphic card is "not very important" (at THIS point) because ACAD has to build the Layout Graphic Display List ...

Mainly in the SIG/Maps World, sometimes I am using DWG with a size > 100 Mb and I have to wait several minutes ...

With LAYOUTREGENCTL = 2 , going back a previous Layout, is FAST ...

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost