Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow crosshair cursor... others seem fine!

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Bazzatron
4234 Views, 15 Replies

Slow crosshair cursor... others seem fine!

Hi there,

I've been having this odd issue with my AutoCAD (2013).

All cursors (pan, when right clicking, when selecting through layers or menus etc) work fine and follow my "real" mouse position. However the crosshair shaped cursor is FAR slower - the movement is smooth, but it just seems to move at about 60% speed, feels like I'm dragging my mouse through treacle!

I've tried upping my mouse speed and dpi in the appropriate options (nothing in autocad though...?) which seems to make all cursors except the crosshair speed up!

I've gone through countless other forum posts and set "selectioncycling = 0" and disabling the roll over tool tips in the options panel - none of which made a difference in cursor speed.

As a full disclosure - I'm running AutoCAD in a Virtual Machine via VMWare Player - I have no idea WHY I'm doing that, it's just the way things were when I started here...

But I'd seriously like to get this fixed - I think I'm developing Carpel Tunnel!

Thanks for anything you can think of!

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
pendean
in reply to: Bazzatron

Your graphics card is too slow to keep up wiht AutoCAD's graphics demands: may have to do with your VM option.
System specs? RAM? Video Card? vid Card RAM?
Message 3 of 16
Bazzatron
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the response,

System specs are:
i7 950 @ 8 x 3.1GHz

12GB RAM

GPU : HD57XX w/3GB memory, (unsure specific model, DXdiag shows this...)

Win7 Pro x64

Anything else I can dump up here for you? Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 16
pendean

so why VMWARE (aka treacle)? Pretty decent standalone system.
Do you have hardware acceleration on in AutoCAD? change the settings either way and see if you notice improvements.
Message 5 of 16
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I'm running AutoCAD in a Virtual Machine via VMWare Player

Is the mouse slow within the whole VmWare window (all apps in VmWare?) or just in AutoCAD.

If just in AutoCAD ... only in the drawing area of AutoCAD or also in the area of ribbon or property window?

>> System specs are:

I guess you have not checked the specs within VmWare, as there is no Intel graphic card driver used within VmWare 😉

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 16
Bazzatron
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Good spot!

Specs from within VMware are...

8GB RAM and 1.5GB VRAM,

My mouse is fine with everything except the crosshair cursor within Autocad - the pan cursor within autocad (i.e. anytime I'm holding down mousewheel) moves with normal speed, as does the regular cursor over the context menus and panels.

Thanks Alfred Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 16
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

I would try now to disable the the hardware acceleration (in AutoCAD), then verify the VmWare settings.

For VmWare: have you installed the VmWare tools in that session (or at least tried to update them)?

If you upload the VMX-file (about 2-3kB that contains the settings of the VmWare options) I could compare them to my ones.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 8 of 16
Bazzatron

I think this is the file you were talking about...? I had to change the extension to get around upload restrictions Smiley Frustrated

I have installed VMware tools, and I do repeatedly check it for updates (even if I don't want to - frequently my "real" cursor and autoCAD cursor misalign and I end up clicking suspend, Ctrl+alt+del, or pretty much anything on that irritating drop down bar at the top!)

Message 9 of 16
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> think this is the file you were talking about

Correct, I'm currently comparing it with one of mine.

>> and I end up clicking suspend

Do you always only suspend it ... instead of a real shut-down? If so then please do first shutdown the VmWare-session and restart it. Just suspending means your memory content may be to fragmented to be performant.

You should really try to toggle the hardware acceleration in AutoCAD (command _3DCONFIG ==> manual tune) as VmWare has not really a strong graphic card.

Do you have the version of VmWare you are currently running?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 10 of 16
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

please find attached the comparision between your settings and mine. I didn't see anything that creates a "wow, that's it" effect. So I would take your IT-employee and verify the settings that are marked as "DIFFERENT" in my file, hopefully there is one of the lines solving your problem.

Be careful: please backup that file before you try any changes ... and do a real reboot, not just a suspend as the settings will not be effective then.

Good luck, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 11 of 16
Bazzatron

Thanks for that table - I'll pass it on to my IT guy when he gets back from Holiday (Lucky for some!)

Just as something that might be worth noting - I tried running ACAD in Unity mode through VMware player - that seemed to not have the same issues - however it is hugely less stable when running like that - really doesn't like me doing things to multiple layers (like locking them for example...)

Message 12 of 16
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I tried running ACAD in Unity mode

Oops, what is "ACAD in Unity mode"? I have not heard that yet.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 13 of 16
Bazzatron

Sorry, my mistake - I was getting lazy with my typing!

I ran AutoCAD in "Unity Mode" within autocad.

it's that button next to fullscreen at the top of the player.Untitled.png

Message 14 of 16
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

ahh, learned something new now, but for your problem: whenever I run AutoCAD in VmWare I never had a slow cursor like you described it, so I have never used that special mode anyway and my AutoCAD's are working.

Turning off/toggline hardware acceleration is also open as question to try, otherwise I guess you have to wait for the holiday-guy 😉  ...or other tips here.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 15 of 16
Bazzatron

It seems as though Hardware acceleration has been off this entire time- and "adaptive degredation" has been turned on.

I might have a play with it tomorrow morning, but I suspect that I will probably break it! I'll be sure to make lots of backup files.

Unity mode is okay - it lets you run apps from your VM environment as if you were running them on your actual computer, I just get a few visual artefacts and a bit lower performance.

Message 16 of 16
chase35

Running in Unity mode worked for me. Slow mouse was driving me crazy!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost