Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show layer in Viewport but not in Model space?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
SFronius
12498 Views, 9 Replies

Show layer in Viewport but not in Model space?

Lets say I have Viewports 1 and 2 and I've made corresponding layer states 1 & 2. I want viewport 1 to only show layer state 1 and viewport 2 only to show 2, that's fine and dandy. But I want to only show layer state 1 in model space because 2 is only an option.

This is driving me crazy! I'm there is a way to do this but I honestly can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
golf32902
in reply to: SFronius

You should be able to click on this and choose between the layer statesUntitled.png

Message 3 of 10
pendean

Modelspace has to have on/thawed all the layers you want to see in both of your paperspace viewports 1 and 2.
You can't treat modelspace as a viewport. it does not work the way you wish it to work.

If you toggle back to modelspace to work in it then consider a better workflow method. Go inside each viewport (1 or 2) and work in there: lock the viewport first and explore using VPMAX and VPMIN commands, usage explained in HELP. leave ALL layers thawed/on in modelspace.
Message 4 of 10
nestly2

Viewports are just windows into Modelspace, therefore if a Layer is OFF or FROZEN in Modelspace, it's also going to be OFF or FROZEN while looking at the model through a viewport.

Message 5 of 10
SFronius
in reply to: pendean

Thanks pendean. I know how to do what you said, but others have access to this drawing (I can't restrict this) and so when you look at it in model space it's really confusing since objects overlap and whatnot. Some of the engineers I work with are not efficient with AutoCAD so they would just be going to model space to draft if they needed to tweak something and I can see them deleting something. I guess I just thought it was possible to show "optional" layers/layer states in viewports but not necessarily the model. I suppose you could obtain this by drafting in paper space (yuck) and then changing space of the objects once an option was chosen.

Thanks everyone!

Message 6 of 10
3wood

My suggestion is to save 2 options as 2 separate files (xrefs).

Then you have your own master file to xref 2 options and play with it in Paperspace and share the xrefs with other people.

Message 7 of 10
SFronius
in reply to: 3wood

Thanks 3wood. They know how to access the xrefs so I'll just have to have all the layers shown in model space even though it's not ideal. If the overlap gets to be too intense then I'd consider doing 2 separate xrefs.

Message 8 of 10
pendean

AutoCAD doesn't allow you to lock down content in a file everyone can access to edit. If you want control, limit editing capabilities by limiting access.

And sadly, there is no substitute to training as well as talking with those that don't do things the way you want it done. Try that approah, works most of the time.
Message 9 of 10
annw2

Starting back in R12, we engineers always drafted in model space.  We needed to have north up for the civil features to work and be able to move along an entire roadway, not just the few hundred feet that show in a view port.

Paper space was incredibly slow and the CAD guru's said to only use it for plotting and annotation.

In all firms I worked with, sheets were always controlled via layer states, (Layer manager, PPP)  I could start with the model in the various settings for each sheet.

Working in model space I would turn layers on and off to look for conflicts between trees, inlets, other utilities, etc.  I usually only wanted the line work and minimal text.

Now I am starting at a new firm and wondering why no one has heard of layer states and drawings are controlled via layer settings in a view port.

I flip to model space and wonder why all I can see is the large pixels from the USGS location map.  I don't see the advantage in having all layers on.  I was hoping for a discussion on the newer work flow.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 10 of 10
VA-MikeS
in reply to: annw2

Ann, you're right. I've been a designer and engineer for well over 30 years. I started on AutoCAD, went through all the low enders before moving to CV3X, CV4X, Cadds4, Cadds5, Catia, Pro-E/Creo, Unigraphics Solutions, UG, UG2, Revit, Inventor, etc, etc... God, just to think someone could tell you modeling in paper space is better than modeling in model space (I mean seriously, doesn't the name kind of give it away???), with a straight face, and mean it...makes me think they're missing something important. I mean, if I was just drawing in 2D they might have a leg to stand on, but if they're really serious and are willing to argue, then I would just drop it, and let them do it there way. It's so ludicrous it's not worth wasting breath on.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost