Sheet Set User Permissions/Restrictions over Network

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
V08J11
1613 Views, 12 Replies

Sheet Set User Permissions/Restrictions over Network

Hello there, 

Usually I am able to find answers, but not in this case.  Our office works off a server, and I created a AutoCAD 2014 Sheet Set and dropped the .dst file on the network, which I am able to open and modify.  I allowed the domain users full control of the .dst file, but my team member is not able to open or load the file stored in the network.  I closed the Sheet Set file but he is still not able to load the file.  

I am wondering if there are user restrictions on Sheet Set files?  Also, can two people have the .dst file open (maybe one that is Read-Only)?  I am new to Sheet Set creation, and would appreciate any guidance.  

Thank you!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Victoria.Studley
in reply to: V08J11

Good Afternoon Vanessa,

First, I have a link to some recommendations for working with Sheet Sets in a network environment, which should help get you started: About Using Sheet Sets in a Networked Environment. This explains how the DST file is accessed and modified by multiple users, and provides recommendations for what each team member should have access to in order to contribute to the project.

Second, since you can open and modify the Sheet Set, but your teammate cannot, I'd like to know:

• If you log into his machine using your credentials, can you access and modify the Sheet Set, or is it still locked from this machine?
  • If your teammate logs into your machine, can he now access and modify the Sheet Set?
  • Are there any other users with access to the Sheet Set, who could test this, or just the two of you? (I'd like to know if you are the only one who can access it, or if your teammate is the only user who can't.)

If you have additional information or questions, please post them here, and we can work through the issue. Have a nice afternoon!

Victoria Studley
Content Experience Designer - Fusion 360
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support
Message 3 of 13
V08J11
in reply to: Victoria.Studley

Hello Victoria, 

Thank you for your reply.  This is what I know so far:  

1. The Sheet Set (.dst file) was created on my pc and saved on our server/network.  All the .dwg files referenced in the .dst file also reside in the same folder location on the server.   
  2. I can access the .dst file on my pc.  My teammate can also access the .dst file when he is logged into my pc.  
  3. My teammate cannot access the .dst file on his pc.  I cannot access the .dst file when I am logged into his pc.   

This makes me think that there is a file associated with the .dst file that I have saved locally on my pc, i.e. does not reside on the server.  What file could this be?  Also, I haven't created any .dwt files.  Does this have anything to do with it?   

Thank you, 

Vanessa

Message 4 of 13
VitalyF

Hello,

The Sheet Set (.dst file) was created on my pc and saved on our server/network.

This causes problems with access to the file

DST file contains the path to your local disk

Send me a copy of your DST file, I'll fix it and come back to you.

If good, I will send you my mail

good luck

Vitaly

Message 5 of 13
cadwomen

Hy Vitaly,

woud you pleace explain to us how you are able to get acces to the *dst file

cu cw

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
Message 6 of 13
VitalyF
in reply to: cadwomen

Hi,

I have access to the DST file using a script

Message 7 of 13
V08J11
in reply to: VitalyF

Hi VitalyF, 

Sure I can send you the file, and I appreciate very much that you are able to help with it.

I would really like AutoCAD's input though (Victoria?) so that they can provide a solution that everyone in this situation can benefit from.  Or, if you can explain how you fix or modify the file, then that would be equally great as well.  

Thank you!

Message 8 of 13
VitalyF

Hi

See you a private message

Message 9 of 13
Victoria.Studley

Hi Vanessa,

On your colleague's machine, is the drive letter the same for the network location as it is on your machine?

You can run into issues if the network drive is lettered differently for each user.

• For example: From your machine it appears as "N:\...", but from your colleague's it appears as "P:\..."

Have you given full permissions to just the DST file? You may want to try the following:

• Set permissions at the directory level, instead of the file level.

I also recommend creating a Sheet Creation Template and Page Setup Overrides to include with the set.

Victoria Studley
Content Experience Designer - Fusion 360
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support
Message 10 of 13
V08J11
in reply to: Victoria.Studley

@Victoria.Studley I so apologize for not being able to respond in two months.  Anyways, I am back and still have not resolved the issue.  All permissions have been updated on the folders and file itself to allow Full Control, and yet it does not work.  

@VitalyF may be onto something though.  He says the sheet file contains contains the following links on drive C:\:

C:\Users\mylastname\

C:\Users\myfirstname\

How can you get rid of this information on the file?    

Thanks so much!

Message 11 of 13
V08J11

@VStudley Also Veronica, could it be that I need to change the path in one of these locations from my local user path (C:\Users\mylastname\AppData\Local\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2014\R19.1\enu) to our network path?  I tried changing a couple related to the Sheet Set like the Setup overrides, but it did not work.  I just don't want to change all paths since it may cause some issues for me.  Thanks.  

1.jpg

Message 12 of 13
VitalyF

Hi Vanessa,

You can add the path to the server for each user, it is safe.

ProjectPath.gif

And also useful to add the path to the network printer settings

PrintSetCustom.gif

And the same template for all users.

Qnew.gif

Do not remove the standard path and move them below!!!

I also sent you a private message...

Vitaly

Message 13 of 13
V08J11

Thank you everyone, but the issue got resolved by reinstalling the software on my teammates machine.  I did a thorough 'cleansing' of all AutoCAD folders and simply reinstalled the software.  This may have cleaned up and paths that were not correctly being sorted.  Sorry for the wild goose chase.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost